Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can you sell a house if you only have copy of the lease?

BobFreeman Forumite Posts: 17
Fourth Anniversary First Post
I havent look at my lease for good 15 yrs. I started to look around, thinking to sell the house. I dug up the lease but it looks like a xerox copy, the title page says "we certify this to be true copy of the original" - it look like a notary stamp but it is also copied. The 3rd page however, titled HM Land Registry.. Lease of Part, has red stamp that says Denoted Duty ad Valorem with number written by hand (not a copy). And the last pages are signed by several people also not a copy..

Is this a valid copy I can use to sell it? 

My confusion is that I am 90% sure I had the lease in different documents box. But I found this one I am talking about in absolutely unexpected place. So I guess I had 2 but I cant find the other one.


  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Forumite Posts: 14,866
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you checked with the land registry to see if it is registered with them? Most properties are and you don’t need the paper copies at all if this is the case.
  • BobFreeman
    BobFreeman Forumite Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary First Post
    Yes it is registered. Thank you 
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Forumite Posts: 1,668
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 31 July at 6:51PM
    You will need the leasehold Title from the Land Registry (£3 online), AND a copy of the full lease itself (£7 form OC2 by post).

    While you are at it, also buy the Freehold Title (£3 online) to check who owns that.
  • fiish
    fiish Forumite Posts: 815
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Also, as part of the conveyancing process, your solicitor will need to obtain the management pack from the management company, and official documents from the Land Registry - the lease will be among these. As long as you have the title register copy showing you as the leaseholder, you should be able to sell the property.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards