🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Comping Fatigue

Options
2»

Comments

• Geek1337
    Options
    Up until about 2013 I was winning around 10 - 20 prizes a year, since then the most I have won is 4 in a year, usually it is one or two. I carry on because I am an eternal optimist but there are less and less comps to enter each year due to the increase of those shifting to social media, video sites, widgets, raffle sites and other such junk.. If I ever get a decent financial win I will most likely drop the comping, I am only in it in the hope of winning
    I'm totally the same being an eternal optimist. I even convince myself some days that the post man is turning up with a huge luxury hamper or a letter with a cheque for a £2000 holiday to Bali. I'll genuinely get excited and be so convinced that "todays the day"... maybe one day ha!
    2023 6 Wins - Biggest win Aug 23 from Instagram Freda and Bert bundle worth £180
  • Geek1337
    Options
    I got bored of it earlier this year, I'd stopped for about a week then I got a £100 voucher which gave me reason to continue. I've not won anything since. I'm going to have another break next month when I go on holiday, hopefully I'll come home to a cheque/holiday/prize  :#
    Crossing my fingers for you that you come back to a big win!
    2023 6 Wins - Biggest win Aug 23 from Instagram Freda and Bert bundle worth £180
  • chocoholic123
    Options
    I have comping fatigue. I enter all the newly added comps I am interested in each day and around 30 mag dailies each day. My winnings this year are a few £10ish prizes which when you consider the time and effort is absolutely not worth it. :neutral: I know there is hope for the next big win but it has been the worst year I've had with this so far. 
  • stubrown55
    Options
    Up until about 2013 I was winning around 10 - 20 prizes a year, since then the most I have won is 4 in a year, usually it is one or two. I carry on because I am an eternal optimist but there are less and less comps to enter each year due to the increase of those shifting to social media, video sites, widgets, raffle sites and other such junk.. If I ever get a decent financial win I will most likely drop the comping, I am only in it in the hope of winning
    Agree with you - wins becoming rarer and rarer. At the moment if I get 1/year I feel lucky - But I only enter for something I want or can gift easily
    2018 wins : kids tennis set (WOW!)2019 wins - Thank God for TCB - a 10p and a 20p win 2020 - Bettys hamper - very nice, a notebook 2021 - £100 Jacks voucher (Jan)2022 - Bottle of Kiss ginMany many thousands of Twitter and IG entries without a sniff of a prize 2023 NOTHING b]just 1 win in last 40 months!!![/b]
  • Geek1337
    Options
    Agree with you - wins becoming rarer and rarer. At the moment if I get 1/year I feel lucky - But I only enter for something I want or can gift easily
    Do you think there's fewer comps or more people entering? Sometimes I'm shocked when you can see how many entries there are for the comps. 5000 entries to win 1 chocolate bar or something like that! I of course will still enter but it does seem like a lot of work sometimes and I will only apply for the bigger comps.
  • mjs7
    mjs7 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been a comper on and off for years, back in the late 80's and 90's I used to have some great wins from postcard entries when stamps were cheap! I stopped for a few years as I moved so much, this year I started again, I have literally done just about all the comps on here apart from FB & IG ones, wins this year have been a dvd, a book and a chocolate hamper, I do enjoy it but it gets to the stage when ones mind says is it worth it, I having everthing crossed for a good financial win as this would help me move on with life as it is now, we can only hope and not give up, I have decided really if I do not get any really decent wins by the end of the year I will give up, I am thinking along the lines that as I am spending so much time comping and having to use and keep recharging the laptop surely I would be better off buying a couple of £1 thunderball tickets or £1 charity lottery tickets a week.
  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mjs7 said:
    I have been a comper on and off for years, back in the late 80's and 90's I used to have some great wins from postcard entries when stamps were cheap! I stopped for a few years as I moved so much, this year I started again, I have literally done just about all the comps on here apart from FB & IG ones, wins this year have been a dvd, a book and a chocolate hamper, I do enjoy it but it gets to the stage when ones mind says is it worth it, I having everthing crossed for a good financial win as this would help me move on with life as it is now, we can only hope and not give up, I have decided really if I do not get any really decent wins by the end of the year I will give up, I am thinking along the lines that as I am spending so much time comping and having to use and keep recharging the laptop surely I would be better off buying a couple of £1 thunderball tickets or £1 charity lottery tickets a week.
    I can quite understand your point of view and back in the 80's and 90's I also had some great wins, a couple of cars, skiing holiday to Switzerland and others. Compared to then, the prizes now for the most part are small with decent competitions few and far between; the rise of Social Media means many more will enter so the chances of winning are greatly reduced. However, on the plus side, back in the day you had to go round all the supermarkets and pick up comp leaflets, maybe buy a product and create a winning slogan and send in the till receipt, whereas now you can enter hundreds a day just sitting at your computer, for free. 
    I view this hobby as a way to usefully utilise spare time with the potential for an amazing surprise in the future, but NEVER expect to win anything. It costs me nothing since I'm always connected to the Internet anyway, and the odds are far better of winning at least something compared to any of the Lotteries. However, it is definitely NOT a way of making any money, unless you are extremely lucky and win one of the Radio comps or similar (which by the way I did manage to do, many years ago!)
    So I would urge you not to despair, look on comping as a way of passing some spare time which could have a more positive return than staring at the TV or raising your blood pressure on Social Media clickbait and you never know, something magnificent may pop up unexpectedly soon.
  • mjs7
    mjs7 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pate-ci0 said:
    mjs7 said:
    I can quite understand your point of view and back in the 80's and 90's I also had some great wins, a couple of cars, skiing holiday to Switzerland and others. Compared to then, the prizes now for the most part are small with decent competitions few and far between; the rise of Social Media means many more will enter so the chances of winning are greatly reduced. However, on the plus side, back in the day you had to go round all the supermarkets and pick up comp leaflets, maybe buy a product and create a winning slogan and send in the till receipt, whereas now you can enter hundreds a day just sitting at your computer, for free. 
    I view this hobby as a way to usefully utilise spare time with the potential for an amazing surprise in the future, but NEVER expect to win anything. It costs me nothing since I'm always connected to the Internet anyway, and the odds are far better of winning at least something compared to any of the Lotteries. However, it is definitely NOT a way of making any money, unless you are extremely lucky and win one of the Radio comps or similar (which by the way I did manage to do, many years ago!)
    So I would urge you not to despair, look on comping as a way of passing some spare time which could have a more positive return than staring at the TV or raising your blood pressure on Social Media clickbait and you never know, something magnificent may pop up unexpectedly soon.
    Thankyou for your reply and advice, social media has in my view taken the enjoyment away for me, but I agree about the supermarkets and buying products and the slogan thing, I used to really enjoy that, so I might give that a go, Thankyou.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure