"You just need to take a photo of this QR code with your mobile"

Chomeur
Chomeur Forumite Posts: 2,104
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
Forumite
Organisations are often presenting me with a QR code and telling me that I simply need to take a photo of it on my phone to achieve whatever is required. So I do that, and, my phone takes a photo, as directed. And that's it. Just a photo. Clearly it's meant to do something more, but how? I have Android on a Poco phone.

Thanks.

Comments

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Forumite Posts: 2,320
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    O)n iPhone when you point camera at QR code a link appears so tap that and it takes you where you need to go.

Otherwise its a QR code to coolest or send something 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Forumite Posts: 2,810
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Does this work ?

Xiaomi, Redmi, POCO (MIUI)

In case you are a Xiaomi, Redmi, or Poco phone user, follow these steps:

1. Launch the camera app on your phone running MIUI, and tap the more options.

2. From the expanded menu, tap on Settings

3. Under Camera settings, go to Smart Suggestion, and ensure the toggle for Scan QR codes is enabled.

• Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Forumite Posts: 1,077
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Or (if you can download apps) download a QR  code reader app, and use that to scan.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Forumite Posts: 1,098
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You don't need to download a QR reader app on Android, you can use Google lens.
  • Username03725
    Username03725 Forumite Posts: 475
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    On my Android phone pointing the phone in camera mode at a QR code for a few seconds allows it to recognise the QR code for what it is - a URL that’s not in a human-readable font - and then offer a prompt to open that URL in the browser. I’ve never noticed one that asked the user to take a photo - perhaps you’re seeing the word camera and making the leap to 'take a photo'.
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Forumite Posts: 650
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Despite what many assume, not all phones decode QR codes by default. My Nokia C21+ doesn't, I had to download a separate app to do it, there are many available.
  • facade
    facade Forumite Posts: 6,676
    Forumite
    I couldn't make it work on my motorola, or my lenovo tablet.
    I ended up paying £2.99 for QR & Barcode Scanner Pro, which is excellent.

I tried a couple of "free" apps, and the adverts were massively intrusive & annoying.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Forumite Posts: 2,441
    Forumite
    edited 26 July at 9:45PM
    I have a Moto G7 and with the inbuilt camera app loaded, I simply hover the phone over the QR code and (without actually taking a photo) a link (URL) appears in yellow near the bottom of the screen. Tapping on that takes me to a website relevant to the QR Code. This works without my having to download a separate app. - the phone is supplied with this capability built in.

Perhaps you are seeing the same behaviour but don't recognise it, so you then take a photo (which isn't necessary and doesn't do anything).
  • facade
    facade Forumite Posts: 6,676
    Forumite
    JohnB47 said:
    I have a Moto G7 and with the inbuilt camera app loaded, I simply hover the phone over the QR code and (without actually taking a photo) a link (URL) appears in yellow near the bottom of the screen. Tapping on that takes me to a website relevant to the QR Code. This works without my having to download a separate app. - the phone is supplied with this capability built in.

Perhaps you are seeing the same behaviour but don't recognise it, so you then take a photo (which isn't necessary and doesn't do anything).

Hey, you are right, I tried it on my motorola, and sometimes it does work exactly as you say, a yellow pop-up appears!

The reason I bought the app (which has loads of features and reads pretty much anything) is because the one QR that I positively absolutely desperately had to read didn't work, and it was the first one I tried too....

£2.99 is hardly the end of the world though.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • victor2
    victor2 Forumite, Ambassador Posts: 7,242
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Google Lens does the job on my android phone. It's free and does other things as well, but I just use it for QR codes

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback