House insurance issues

Miss_Riot Forumite Posts: 41
Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
I have an integrated hob and oven due to not being able to access a freestanding one due to being a wheelchair user (they are too high and thus a massive health and safety hazard). As I do not own my home (it's housing association) I cannot get buildings insurance. But as a result I cannot seem to insure my oven or hob? Also, as they are not brand new I seem to not be able to buy separate appliance insurance. 

Also, we're trying to get a summerhouse in the garden so my partner can work from home whilst I recover from major surgery but this also needs to be insured (the structure not just the contents). Is there anyway we can do this? I have searched for specialist insurance and can't seem to find any. 


  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Forumite Posts: 4,936
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Many contents insurance policies include cover for "tenants' improvements", ie things which would normally come under buildings insurance, but are changes that you've made to the property as it was leased to you. As an example picked at random from Google, Nationwide cover up to £50,000 of tenant's improvements

    Check whether your contents policy includes this cover, or look for one which does.

    (Not sure whether this would cover a summerhouse, but will certainly cover the hobs)

  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Forumite Posts: 6,175
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What was in the property when you moved in? I assume it had some form of cooking appliances?

     speak to the HA and see what their buildings insurance covers for kitchens as I doubt there is a massive difference in cost between oven + hob -v- a cooker.

     Aretnap says, tenants improvements is what you need, I'd say its more "some" rather than "many" that include it and there are some where its an optional extra but only via the telephone and not via the web.

     think you'll struggle to find a contents policy that covers a summer house structure though, its typically "fixtures and fittings" (kitchens, bathrooms etc) and not anything structural.

     insurance and appliance insurance are two different things with only Accidental Damage as a common coverage. Appliances will cover it for breakdown which home insurance wouldnt whereas Home would cover it for flood, fire, theft etc which appliance insurance wouldnt. 

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 243.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards