We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

private medical health insurance

Options
Hello- I am wondering if someone can help. I had medical health insurance through my employer with Vitality. It was authorised by Vitality  for me to see a cardio consultant who then ordered tow diagnostic tests. I decided to resign due to ill health end of April. I saw the consultant in April. I could only get dates for the two tests 4 days after the end of April. The policy -now I have read it - says it will not honour anything after end of contract. Obviously, I did not know this and I was so unwell having other cardio tests under the NHS and adjusting to the devastating news and several new drugs.

I think this is grossly unreasonable given they authorised the consultation and the tests. My employer did not inform Vitality of my end date but they had 2 months to do so.

I am now £1,450.00 pounds out of pocket , unwell and unemployed. Is there any way I can challenge this ? I would NOT have proceeded with the tests if I had known.

kind regards 
Kim

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    any chance you were still officially employed but on holiday after your last day "in the office"?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Kim_kenny
    Options
    Hi- unfortunately not :( I am just amazed my employer did not have a process whereby end of contract dates should be sent to those offering perks tied to the contract. It never crossed my mind to do this sadly :( I have been so unwell since February- it was the last thing on my mind.
  • Kim_kenny
    Options
    I wondered IF I could have paid a further premium for the tests rather than incur the full costs? It just seems a bit brutal- given it concerns people's health .
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,566 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Kim_kenny said:
    I wondered IF I could have paid a further premium for the tests rather than incur the full costs? It just seems a bit brutal- given it concerns people's health .
    I dont know about vitatility but some insurers will allow you to set up a personal policy as an effective continuation of the former employers policy which therefore doesnt treat conditions developed under the employer's policy as pre-existing. 

I'm a little confused why you resigned whilst unwell but thats water under the bridge and having done so one consequence will have been the termination of the insurance. In reality, if its a large employer then its not actually insurance anyway in most cases and the employer ultimately pays for the treatment. 
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would have thought your only route to challenge this is your former employer's goodwill.  
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,757 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kim_kenny said:

The policy -now I have read it - says it will not honour anything after end of contract. 

I'm sorry to say but as I read the above, it seems the T & Cs of the policy clearly state that any treatment undertaken after the end of the contract will not be honoured. Unfortunately you failed to read this prior to booking the appointments, so I do not think your former employer or Vitality are responsible for your costs
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback