HMRC - PPI Tax Claim

Options
Help your claim helped me claim back quite a bit of PPI, which is why I was happy for them to try and claim back overpayments in tax. I recently received Viva £34.00 back, but HMRC then sent me a new calculation for 2018 stating I owe them £1800 as my interest payments where in excess of £10,000 for that year as instructed by Help Your Tax, who they say are my Agent. 
Can HMRC get away with this? I would probably need a million in savings to earn £10k worth of interest in 2018 and I certainly don’t have that! 
What can I do to challenge the information supplied by Help your claim. I was told by HMRC to report Help your Tax actions as Fraud!

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    PPI refunds aren't taxable and tax was never deducted from them.

The statutory interest paid alongside PPI refunds was taxable and did have tax deducted from it.

Is it possible that the repayment claim included incorrect details?

Or were you a higher rate payer that tax year when the interest was taken into account?

Do you have a copy of either the repayment claim or calculation showing you owe £1,800?
  • tricksakarb
    Options
    HMRC has now sent me the Help Your Tax paperwork and Help your Ta. have quite clearly filled in forms which stated I received over £10k in interest payments! 
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    HMRC has now sent me the Help Your Tax paperwork and Help your Ta. have quite clearly filled in forms which stated I received over £10k in interest payments! 
    Where they did they get that information from?

Do the amounts match the total PPI refund including the statutory interest?
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Help your tax have clearly messed up. Hope they will sort it out for you but looking at trustpilot reviews that seems unlikely. 

Good luck

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure