Move to Voip for home line

I understand everyone on BT/Openreach will need to move to digital services such as VOIP, or buy an adapter for their analogue phone by 2025.  A friend in Worthing told me she received a free digital handset from BT when they changed her over, although I'm not sure of the details. Is it worth buying a new handset or adapter if BT will supply these next year?

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    At the moment BT seem to be giving away a phone or an adapter when you get transferred to BT Digital Voice (I assume that that is only for BT customers). We got a free phone when we were transferred a couple of years ago, but the Panasonic DECT phones still worked just as well as they did before.

We've even transferred away from BT to Vodafone and our home phone still works but now plugged into the VF router, rather than the BT one

Other suppliers may have different arrangements, but I'd certainly not be going out a buying kit, just in case. I'd wait until it happens and then you can make an informed choice.

My mate was getting all het up about his alarm system because he was misinformed about what might happen by the doom mongers and naysayers. He got transferred to BT DV last week and it still works just the same as it did before. He could have spend a fortune getting stuff that he didn't need.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2023 at 3:15PM
    As stated , obviously BT only provide equipment for BT customers , if you are on Openreach network using the PSTN network for calls , but not with BT , moving to all IP telephony will require you to plug either your existing phone or possibly one supplied by your provider ( AFAIK only BT so far are supplying equipment) into your router phone port , if you router doesn’t have a phone port , providing the provider intends to remain offering Telephony, they would have to replace your router with a suitable one .
    FYI , Digital Voice is BT proprietary name for BT’s all IP  telephony service , it’s isn’t a generic term for all providers IP telephony , it’s a bit like the old adage about  all Hoovers are vacuum cleaners , but not all vacuum cleaners are Hoovers .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback