Sky - Moving house/downgrading/slow internet

Summary - "Moving house, want to take sky over to new house, but noticeably slower internet at new address, also want to lower bill"

Hi all,

I am in the (slow) process of moving house, no fix date, so I toggle between the two properties,  but still in current house using my Sky package, TV, phone & BB (ancient HD plus box, phone line and BB).

However I do need to get broadband/tv  sorted at new house as it's the one thing stopping from fully moving in.

One issue I have found out hough is broadband service availability at new house is a fair bit slower I've just found out, only guaranteed 23.4mb. I'm on approx 50mb I think here.

But I do need to move my sky to new property, well the TV element at the very least.

So, a few points:
  • I am out of contract.
  • Sky VIP member so no move costs apparently?
  • Only interested in basic TV package.
And my questions are:

• Sounds like it's easier, much less hassle to move without any changes to package at the same time i.e. changing to sky Q. And this means no changes to contract and I will still be out of contract?

• Is it better to end existing contract and start a new one as a new customer? Sounds like I would get a much better deal?
  • If I do do Sky move for existing contract/package should I do it all online?
  • I was told phone is now voice over internet, which kind of defeats the point in having a separate phone line doesn't it? It seems this is a BT/Openreach thing though trying to phase out copper?
  • Virgin media offering much faster broadband only, for less than I am paying now (130mb for £26) and is availible at ne property

So what I am thinking, as the most simple solution, is moving over with exact same contract i.e. so no change to contract/they can't sign me up for another 18 months, then after move, downgrade i.e. remove internet and possibly phone (replace broadband with virgin at the very least).

How does this sound as a plan? What are likely implications, contractually speaking?

P.S. I hate to admit, especially on MSE that I am one of those ostrich in the sand types when it comes to bills, :s and I am currently paying far too much IMO on my current sky package, so want to re-negotiate this at some point as well. But when?

DetailPeriod CoveredAmount
Sky Signature
2 Jul - 1 Aug
£34.00
Sky HD
2 Jul - 1 Aug
£9.00
Sky 3D
2 Jul - 1 Aug
£0.00

Broadband

• Sky WiFi, 2 Jul - 1 Aug, £0.00

• Sky Broadband Superfast, 2 Jul - 1 Aug, £39.50

Sky WiFi
2 Jul - 1 Aug
£0.00
Sky Broadband Superfast
2 Jul - 1 Aug
£39.50

Talk

• Sky Talk Anytime Extra, 2 Jul - 1 Aug, £13.50

• Sky Talk Line Rental, 2 Jul - 1 Aug, £0.00

Sky Talk Anytime Extra
2 Jul - 1 Aug
£13.50
Sky Talk Line Rental
2 Jul - 1 Aug
£0.00

Comments

• ladruid
    ladruid Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Why not just move onto Virgin Ultimate Volt bundle and bin Sky off?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2023 at 3:24PM
    There is no such entity as BT/Openreach, BT have nothing to do with your arrangement with Sky and wether you want to continue with it .
    Sky telephony ( if you want it ) is via the router , it’s fair to say that all telephony will be this way as the PSTN network is being retired, this in itself has nothing to do with ‘line rental’  , if you had Sky broadband, you paid for Sky broadband, you didn’t pay two items on the broadband bill ( line rental and broadband ) it just a single fee for broadband, if you keep Sky broadband and get telephony via the router , your new bill is the same as the old bill , because you have access to the same products , if the new address is FTTC or FTTP is irrelevant from this point of view .
  • It's definitely worth looking at new customer deals if you are free to leave, they never actively reward loyalty!
    Thanks @AquaSwitch, so you're saying end existing contract and simply start a new one for new address? I don't know if I imagined it but can there be any complications with Sky doing this?
  • ladruid said:
    Why not just move onto Virgin Ultimate Volt bundle and bin Sky off?
    Thanks @ladruid, I would love too! But it's other family memebers who need the South Asian channels  :s I barely use it! I think Sky still has the best selection?
  • HighContrast
    HighContrast Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 July 2023 at 9:22PM
    iniltous said:
    There is no such entity as BT/Openreach, BT have nothing to do with your arrangement with Sky and wether you want to continue with it .
    Sky telephony ( if you want it ) is via the router , it’s fair to say that all telephony will be this way as the PSTN network is being retired, this in itself has nothing to do with ‘line rental’  , if you had Sky broadband, you paid for Sky broadband, you didn’t pay two items on the broadband bill ( line rental and broadband ) it just a single fee for broadband, if you keep Sky broadband and get telephony via the router , your new bill is the same as the old bill , because you have access to the same products , if the new address is FTTC or FTTP is irrelevant from this point of view .
    Thanks  @iniltous,  the phone over voip is not especially a big issue, simply getting broadband and TV at new property is main urgency, but my thinking was why should I be paying say £13.50pm, if it's not longer going to be a dedicated phone "line". And what happens if the internet is down?

***some formatting weirdness going on here, the post should start with "thanks"
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    iniltous said:
    Thanks  @iniltous,  the phone over voip is not especially a big issue, simply getting broadband and TV at new property is main urgency, but my thinking was why should I be paying say £13.50pm, if it's not longer going to be a dedicated phone "line". And what happens if the internet is down?

***some formatting weirdness going on here, the post should start with "thanks"
    If the internet is down then you use your mobiles. There must be very few mobile contracts that don't include free calls nowadays.

Those prices you're currently paying are frankly disgusting. £96 a month just for signature, HD, around 50Mbps FTTC + Anytime calls is ridiculous.

I would schedule full cancellation at your present address and start afresh with either Sky Q TV plus VM broadband (are you sure there's no FTTP ultrafast at the new property?) or at least speak to Sky about taking a new TV package. Definitely upgrade to Q if keeping Sky regardless, the box is light years better than a HD box. You will lose your recordings and of course (most probably) your home phone number.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback