We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debt collectors collected the wrong amount of debt and are withholding £400

Options
Hi there , I do hope someone can help me I'm going round in circles and getting no where .
I took a company to court and had an uncontested ccj issued to my debtor .I then engaged a debt collection agency, nightfox to collect the debt of £12400 .Nightfox collected £ 10,000  , I paid 10 % of the original debt to them in the beginning and 15% of the £10,000 which was £3200, Inc vat . I emailed them about the remaining debt but they ignored me . I put up a review after a year and immediately received a phone call from nightfox who threatened to take me to court if I didnt remove the review , the owner Philip said he would collect the rest of the debt so I removed the review . I spoke to him a while later and he said he had collected a further £400 . Since then they have not collected the remaining debt and have not sent me the £400 . I emailed them again and received 1 email saying 10,000 wasnt bad and then another email saying the original debt was £ 10400 not £12400 , sadly I gave them the original paperwork from the court which they refuse to acknowledge. How do I get a copy of the original ccj ?
So I went to citizens advice who didnt really know what I should do , they suggested taking nightfox to court , or she said to make another claim against my debtor , any of these options will cost me even more money , if I have already got a ccj on my debtor am I able to do it again ? I think I can only take nightfox to court for £400 as I do have the email from them proving they collected it and didnt send it to me . There doesnt seem to be any governing body to report them to , they are not registered with the FCA,  I emailed the ombudsman and they dont deal with them either , so far I've phoned numerous help lines and no one knows what I should do , I went to the local courts , they couldnt help , they gave me numbers for the justice system who also cant help , everywhere it's the same , no one can give legal advice , they all give me other numbers who also cant give me advice or the numbers just dont work , they all suggest citizens advice . If you go to the government websites they say they are making sure there is justice for all , they use a word salad that implys our taxes they spend are helping poor people get services for free , they talk about "outcomes" but it's nothing of the sort , none of them can even give legal advice , they constantly tell you to use citizens advice even after you tell them citizens advice couldnt help , it's like a broken record . Any help would be most appreciated,  what is the point of going through all the courts engaging a collection agency when they can just not do the job properly but get paid as if they did. 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Might be worth having a work with a solicitor to see what they can suggest.
    Life in the slow lane
  • j00lie
    j00lie Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi born again , I'm very reluctant as I used a solicitor to try to collect the original debt and during the free consultation I explained that my debtor owed me £12400 , they said then that they could help by writing to them so I gave them the go ahead . After several emails and letters from the solicitor my debtor still did not pay so I asked the solicitor to do whatever was needed next , that's when they told me that the costs would be £10.000 if they proceeded , so it had cost me a few hundred for phone calls and letters that had I known this vital piece of information I would have saved my money , they could have told me this in the beginning,  anyway I ended up laying nearly £600 just to make the claim , she was on £120 an hour , I earned £8.45 an hour , I was livid !
  • Diana262
    Diana262 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi,  so how much you got from night fox ? Is it £10000 ? Or they didn’t give you any money? 
    I’m about to employ Nightfox for collecting £4000 from debtor. They said £479 initial fees and 15% of what they collect?

is it safe?
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    j00lie said:
    Hi born again , I'm very reluctant as I used a solicitor to try to collect the original debt and during the free consultation I explained that my debtor owed me £12400 , they said then that they could help by writing to them so I gave them the go ahead . After several emails and letters from the solicitor my debtor still did not pay so I asked the solicitor to do whatever was needed next , that's when they told me that the costs would be £10.000 if they proceeded , so it had cost me a few hundred for phone calls and letters that had I known this vital piece of information I would have saved my money , they could have told me this in the beginning,  anyway I ended up laying nearly £600 just to make the claim , she was on £120 an hour , I earned £8.45 an hour , I was livid !
    Just be aware that her “£120 an hour” covers all the running costs of the business such as rent, rate, insurance, utilities, IT equipment and support, administrative time, junior and others staff (paralegals, finance and other assistance such as cleaners) etc. I would doubt she sees a quarter of it in her pocket. 

No different to a garage charging £100 an hour whilst paying the mechanics £15.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback