Attendance Allowance - Paying to daughter

Options
My mother in law needs daily care, help sorting herself out, washing etc etc, my wife is visiting each day, but wouldn't do enough hours for Carers Allowance.

Is it allowable for my mother in law to pay her attendance allowance to her daughter?

My wife doesn't work elsewhere so doesn't have any other income...

Comments

• Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's perfectly allowable for MIL to use her AA to pay some of it (or all of it) to her daughter / your wife.
    How many hours per week does your wife spend providing care and support for her mother? There are other things that can be taken into account to make up 35 hours such as keeping an eye on someone - you don't have to be physically doing something all the time for it to count towards the 35 hours.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can spend AA on whatever helps you - my in-laws used it to pay for a gardener and cleaner as they were no longer able to manage these things. It is fine for your MIL to give some to her daughter 
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How do you work out the 35 hours.
    I care for my friend, I'm there 24/7 so very easy to get to 35 hours.
    While they were in Hospital, did I do zero hours ?.
    No, I collected shopping, washed clothes, deep cleaned the house, Walked 6 miles
    a day to the hospital and back to see them, feed, wash, dress them etc.

Do you go shopping for her, fill out forms at home, make calls on her behalf, do washing and ironing, all this is adding up to 35 hours.
    On the other hand how would anybody know if you only did 23 hours one week or 45 hours the next.
    I think she might get to 35 hours woth of caring.
    So claim.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure