Kitchen quote Cambridgeshire: £70k

Options
Hello

Does this sound reasonable. 

We currently have a 6 x 4.5 kitchen with a 2 x 2 small utility and it currently has a 25 year old kitchen and appliances. 

We are converting it to a 6 x 5 kitchen with the same 2 x 2 utility by moving a stud wall into a big hallway. 

We have had a quote from a firm we have used before for our bathrooms and been very happy with their work. 

So far:

Kitchen cabinets, worktops, tiles, appliances, fixtures and fittings: £40k. 
Labour including the stud wall move, flooring, first and second fix, and painting: £30k. 

The kitchen will come from Mereway Kitchens and all the appliances are Bosch and Nef. There will be a full height fridge and a full height freezer, an induction hob, and two Nef N50 ovens. Also we have asked for a Quooker tap, extraction hood within a suspended ceiling, and a TV area with the appropriate wiring for the TV embedded in the wall. 

The labour includes repositioning the boiler in the utility and transferring our old kitchen (well some of it) to the garage for a sort of utility area and sink. This will include some plumbing and so on.

The worktops and tiles themselves are £10k as an indication of the materials 

Thank you for the thoughts. 

RtD

Comments

• junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2023 at 10:24AM
    Options
    It's impossible to say as it depends on the construction of your house, the quality of the work & the quality of materials you have specified.

Last year our washing machine leaked and I had to rip out everything in the room right down to the block & beam floor (which also needed fixing and re-levelling). Our utility room is 2m x 2.6m, it cost me about £4k (materials only) and that's for solid wood units (£2300), solid laminate worktop (£500), repair & level block and beam floor (£200), new subfloor (£300), floor tiles (£200), adhesive, grout, plaster, pipework etc. (£400).

Initially I wanted to get someone in to do it (just didn't want to do it myself) - started getting some very rough estimates from various online sites (check-a-trader etc.) and they were stupidly expensive (in Newmarket), so just bit the bullet and did it myself.

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello

Does this sound reasonable. 

We currently have a 6 x 4.5 kitchen with a 2 x 2 small utility and it currently has a 25 year old kitchen and appliances. 

We are converting it to a 6 x 5 kitchen with the same 2 x 2 utility by moving a stud wall into a big hallway. 

We have had a quote from a firm we have used before for our bathrooms and been very happy with their work. 

So far:

Kitchen cabinets, worktops, tiles, appliances, fixtures and fittings: £40k. 
    Labour including the stud wall move, flooring, first and second fix, and painting: £30k. 

The kitchen will come from Mereway Kitchens and all the appliances are Bosch and Nef. There will be a full height fridge and a full height freezer, an induction hob, and two Nef N50 ovens. Also we have asked for a Quooker tap, extraction hood within a suspended ceiling, and a TV area with the appropriate wiring for the TV embedded in the wall. 

The labour includes repositioning the boiler in the utility and transferring our old kitchen (well some of it) to the garage for a sort of utility area and sink. This will include some plumbing and so on.

The worktops and tiles themselves are £10k as an indication of the materials 

Thank you for the thoughts. 

RtD
    That does sound very high, it very much depends on quality of fixtures/fittings. Bosch and Nef are decent makes and a boiling water tap adds to costs, but I would definitely get other quotes for comparison.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback