Lloyds monthly charge

Options
Bit of a long story.
Trying to help a cousin who lives a distance away and has fallen on hard times. He's on UC, struggling last 2 years. I send food parcels at times and try to advise and help in lots of ways. I won't go into all of them but though he's intelligent I think he's quite dysfunctional, and by the sounds of it, his life has spiralled a bit negatively since he was made redundant due to Covid. He doesn't the few thousand redundancy on living, not realising he could have claimed UC before his money completely ran out, sadly. 
I pinged some ££ to him the other day and he randomly said in his thanks text that Lloyds take around £15 pm charge. He has no idea what for but doesn't use any insurance or any other package he knows of 
I thought it may be possible to claim back what he obviously has not been able to afford and was quite positive when I read on this site there was a template etc. Then a bit downhearted when I saw you would need statements and proof. He can't even find the most basic stuff, like his birth cert or the Giffgaff SIM I sent to cut his costs down. Frustrating but I work in MH so I know not everyone is capable but fall through safety nets. 
Then reading on this forum today I'm even more downhearted to read how difficult it might be to try to get some if these charges back. He won't have the wherewithal to do it himself, so there's no point me as using him to. 
Thanks for sticking with the story, any chance I can help him with this? 

Comments

• wagtail
    wagtail Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry for typos, just finished a night shift. 
    I'm sure your clever brains can put them right. 👍🏻
    *Spent the few thousand redundancy on living, that should say. 
    Also, I'm his only relative, apart from my very elderly mother. We are also miles away. 
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, sorry to be a damp squib but it would seem likely that he was made aware of the Lloyd's charge, either when he opened the account or when it was introduced, and he would have had the opportunity to change the account type or move his account. While £15 does seem high it may be that he has an account which is no longer suited to his financial position. Sadly it can be difficult to help people from distance, do you ever meet up with him? It would be easier if you were able to take him to the bank for a review of his circumstances. Ditto the phone really, you probably need to put the new sim in and initiate the port of his number as it is likely to be something he will put off.

For one minute I was asking myself what you working in milford haven had to do with it, then I worked out that wasn't what you meant by MH 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought it may be possible to claim back what he obviously has not been able to afford and was quite positive when I read on this site there was a template etc. 
    Packaged bank account complaints only succeed in around 1 in 10 cases.    So, whilst there have been successes, it's statistically unlikely.

Then a bit downhearted when I saw you would need statements and proof.
    You don't need statements when complaining to a bank.  They have the statements on file.  The only exception to that is if its a closed bank account or very old and the bank no longer holds the transaction history.

You also do not need proof unless you are alleging something that is unlikely to have occurred or unusual.  Where complaints boil down allegations about things said then proof can help.   However, usually with things like PBA complaints, you are looking at the product being unsuitable rather than allegations about conversations.

Thanks for sticking with the story, any chance I can help him with this? 
    What would the complaint be about? - you haven't mentioned what wrong doing you are accusing the bank of.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • retiredbanker1
    Options
    Lloyds state every month on statements fees for its packaged accounts.

More Importantly they send you an annual letter asking you to decide if the account you hold is still suitable for you. If your family member has no record of this you can view a copy in the bank's internet banking.

So assuming a complaint for a missale is made the most they would refund IMO would be charges from the date of that letter to date.
    £15 a month suggests the old 'Gold' account (no longer on sale) and again suggests the account has been held for many many years.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They need to contact Lloyds to talk Bout changing the account type now. Lloyds offer free accounts, they need to switch to 1 of these immediately 

Then complain about the historical charges.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They need to contact Lloyds to talk Bout changing the account type now. Lloyds offer free accounts, they need to switch to 1 of these immediately 

Then complain about the historical charges.
    Complaints about historical charges are largely doomed to failure, OP has an old account by the sounds of it (a long discontinued product) so almost certainly will be time barred 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback