no fault claim - How do I get a courtesy car?



  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Forumite Posts: 5,007
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You'd need to ask Enterprise but I imagine they would be happy to pick up where they left off if you tell them you now want to go down the credit hire route after all. Providing credit hire cars is how they make their money - it would be rather perverse if they didn't want the hassle of doing it.

    Unfortunately the underwriters can only pursue claims on your behalf of they're for things which are covered by your insurance policy and which they have already paid for under the terms on your policy. Helping you with uninsured losses (like personal injury, time off work, travelling expenses)nis the job of a solicitor. Realistically hiring a solicitor to recover the cost of some taxi and bus fares is going to cost more than the fares themselves, so if you don't have legal cover on your insurance you'll need to speak to the third party insurer yourself. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Forumite Posts: 7,407
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Aretnap said:

    Your best option at this point is probably to accept the credit hire car that Enterprise have already offered you.
     Using a credit hire company amounts to doing the same thing - but passing on the risk and (most of) the work or recovering the costs to the credit hire company.

    Thank you for a detailed reply.
    Do I still have the option to go back to Enterprise and take the credit agreement? Asking because Enterprise said they are not pursuing it anymore and have passed it on to the underwriters.

    Also, can I ask the underwriters to include the extra costs I am incurring (for instance for using public transport, cab, or private car rental) in my claim and recover them from the third party insurer?
    If not then how do I claim those costs back?
    FYI - I do not have the legal cover either. It was optional and I did not add it to the policy.
    Most likely enterprise will still be happy to offer you the car on credit... your other option is to contact the third party insurers and see if they are will to deal with you directly, most are if the claims been registered and there are no liability issues.

    You cannot claim the costs from your insurers, they are uninsured losses, but you can recover them from the third party insurer. If you have legal expenses insurance as part of your Motor policy then your insurers will instruct someone to assist you in the recovery, if not you'll need to do it yourself. Its not a complex thing to do, just keep all receipts and pass copies (not the originals) to the insurer with a covering letter/email stating what the totals are and asking for reimbursement 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 340.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 231.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards