We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Insurance Claim - Help with wording

Options
Hi, have just had my claim rejected by insurance company, am now sending a letter to them challenging their rejection on the basis of the wording of their policy. 
So basically, they are refusing to compensate for the damage removal company caused, due to the furniture being flat packed! The furniture was not flat packed during transit/storage.  (Initially when I purchased the furniture a couple years ago it was flatpacked furniture).  Their policy word for word only states the following:  Excluded Items: flat pack furniture!
Grateful for help on how to challenge this wording in the policy.  many thanks

Comments

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That's not how contracts work. Once a contract is agreed between two parties, neither can unilaterally change the contract terms. 

Was the term Excluded Items: flat pack furniture in the contract when you agreed to it?

Is the company your home insurance or the removers' third party insurance?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,566 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    max5445 said:
    Hi, have just had my claim rejected by insurance company, am now sending a letter to them challenging their rejection on the basis of the wording of their policy. 
    So basically, they are refusing to compensate for the damage removal company caused, due to the furniture being flat packed! The furniture was not flat packed during transit/storage.  (Initially when I purchased the furniture a couple years ago it was flatpacked furniture).  Their policy word for word only states the following:  Excluded Items: flat pack furniture!
    So is this your home insurance you are claiming against or are you claiming from the removal firm's insurance?

The importance in the terms is the absence of the "ed"... "flat pack furniture" remains as such irrespective if its in its built or disassembled state. A quick check on the Ombudsman website unfortunately only shows one case in relation to flat pack furniture but the ombudsman does use the term to describe some furniture in its assembled state. 

I am guessing you are claiming against some removal firm in which case any exclusion in their insurance doesnt necessarily exclude a claim against the company itself, that will depend on their own T&Cs and not that of their insurance (unless the terms stated liability was limited to what their insurance covers)
  • max5445
    max5445 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    max5445 said:
    So is this your home insurance you are claiming against or are you claiming from the removal firm's insurance?

The importance in the terms is the absence of the "ed"... "flat pack furniture" remains as such irrespective if its in its built or disassembled state. A quick check on the Ombudsman website unfortunately only shows one case in relation to flat pack furniture but the ombudsman does use the term to describe some furniture in its assembled state. 

I am guessing you are claiming against some removal firm in which case any exclusion in their insurance doesnt necessarily exclude a claim against the company itself, that will depend on their own T&Cs and not that of their insurance (unless the terms stated liability was limited to what their insurance covers)
    I had insurance through the removal company, there policy quotes:

Excluded items:

Flat Pack Furniture

To me the wording in this policy is literally for flat packed furniture, my furniture was not flat packed at the time of the move.  Therefore I need to put into words somehow that I don't agree with their wording within the policy due to the furniture being fully assembled and not flat packed at the time of the move.

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    max5445 said:
    max5445 said:

Excluded items:

Flat Pack Furniture

To me the wording in this policy is literally for flat packed furniture, my furniture was not flat packed at the time of the move.  Therefore I need to put into words somehow that I don't agree with their wording within the policy due to the furniture being fully assembled and not flat packed at the time of the move.

Those words seem fine to me. Might not work though.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,566 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    max5445 said:
    max5445 said:

Excluded items:

Flat Pack Furniture

You cannot say much other than you understand that "flat pack furniture" means furniture that has been disassembled for the purposes of transportation whereas your furniture was fully assembled at the time and therefore you feel is outside of their exclusion. 

This is clutching at straws thought as "flat pack furniture" is things that are sold flat packed for the customer to assemble and doesnt reflect their current state. If the exclusion was for "flat packed furniture" then that wouldn't apply as that would be for things that were in their packed in their flat state at the time of the incident. 
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options
    max5445 said:
    max5445 said:

Excluded items:

Flat Pack Furniture

You cannot say much other than you understand that "flat pack furniture" means furniture that has been disassembled for the purposes of transportation whereas your furniture was fully assembled at the time and therefore you feel is outside of their exclusion. 

This is clutching at straws thought as "flat pack furniture" is things that are sold flat packed for the customer to assemble and doesnt reflect their current state. If the exclusion was for "flat packed furniture" then that wouldn't apply as that would be for things that were in their packed in their flat state at the time of the incident. 
    Surely at best (worst?) that term is ambiguous and should be interpreted in the consumer's favour?

I can't really think of many good reasons why the state of the furniture at some point in the past should be a reason to exclude it from coverage. I can see why they might want to exclude stuff that's still in a box and never been unpacked. 

• Ksw3
    Ksw3 Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    I imagine that flat-pack furniture is less durable than other kinds of furniture. Most of the flat pack furniture I have has been damaged when moving as they were made of chipboard type stuff whereas the solid walnut dresser we have is going strong after 60 years. 
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,757 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To me the term "flat pack furniture" means furniture that was sold in flat packs. Assembled it is still "flat pack furniture". If the exclusion had said "flat packed furniture", that would imply the furniture has yet to be assembled and is still in the flat packs.

Whether the insurance company meant "packed" rather than "pack" when it drafted its Ts and Cs is open to question. They would probably argue "pack" is what was written and "pack" is what was meant.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree it shouldn't be carte blanche for the movers to be careless - at most it should just flag up that flatpack items are likely to be less solidly-built. Though I'm not sure even that is a particularly sound assumption.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2023 at 5:39PM
    Options
    You are clutching at straws in relation to the definition of "flat pack furniture". When it is fully assembled it is still defined as 'flat pack furniture'. In fact if unassembled and in its original boxes there probably would not be an issue.

The problem is that when assembling people often find a little sachet of white stuff which they immediately throw in the bin, that is the glue that helps to hold it together. Secondly, when it is built and put into place it expands and contracts as the house heats and cools, loosening all the connectors and joints. It works fine when left alone but as soon as you try to move it, it can fold up like a house of cards.

That does not excuse movers from operating with a level of care.
    Past caring about first world problems.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure