We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DLA

Options
My mum has been getting DLA for 25 years and I believe she can get a reduction in her council tax- 
shes reluctant to claim as she’s worried they’ll do an inspection and see her extension! 
I doubt they have the manpower to do this so How do they adjust what she pays ? 

Comments

• marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     What type of reduction do you think she could claim? Does she live alone? 
    Does she have a severe mental impairment? 

I believe the extension wont give cause to raise it until she sells and that falls on the new owners. 
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction

You need to read the particular Council's web site wrt the Council Tax to see what might apply to your Mum's situation.

CT revaluation (if applicable) only happens when the property is sold.  The Council may well already have an 'improvement marker' on the property so that happens.

• ashpan
    ashpan Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2023 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Apparently in order to get a re-bandio someone has to come out and inspect the property which she won’t permit! 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 12 July 2023 at 5:42AM
    Options
    ashpan said:
    Apparently in order to get a re-bandio someone has to come out and inspect the property which she won’t permit! 
     They won't Come out and can only reband the house when she sells and moves out 
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ashpan said:
    Doesn't apply.  Until sold.  They may not need visit site anyway.  Could be done from the street and satellite imagery anyway.

Have you checked Mum's Council website yet?  Rather that worrying about something that won't happen?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,839 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Council Tax Reduction will be dealt with by the council who do not deal with CT banding. Banding is dealt with by the Valuation Office Agency (part of HMRC) and providing the extension was built during her ownership and after 1 April 1993, as others have said it will not be reflected in the band until her home is next sold.

I'm ex VOA, but if ever an inspection was continually refused for no good reason, we would just do an estimate and increase the band. Seeing their CT increased by 2 bands had the surprising effect of people deciding that an inspection wasn't such a bad idea. However the VOA may longer use this practice. 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback