Homebased food business

Options
Hi guys, 

I have just started a homebased fresh meals business and I have started to get orders locally which is great.

I have a couple of question and would appreciate some advice.

1) What would be a reasonable price for delivering food. I will be using my personal car (not ready for the likes of deliveroo etc). Let's say I set a target that I am willing to travel (10 miles). I was thinking £1 per mile? Do I also charge for a return journey?

2) Any ideas on who to use if I were to package and send via next day delivery. I checked with dpd and they said I need to send regularly. As a new business I don't have regular customers. 

3) Any budget friendly apps/software to keep track of orders received / expenses / profits?

Would appreciate any sort of advice.

Thank you.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    1) It doesn't make much difference if you charge £1/mile and charge one way or £0.50 per mile and charge both ways. What will be very notable is that your delivery is more expensive than the likes of Deliveroo but presumably you wont be offering live tracking etc? Who is doing your delivery? If it's you, how is the business run whilst you are on the road?

2) What are your requirements on refrigeration etc? Or would the food be safe in the back of a van at 28C for 8 hours?

3) Excel is sufficient for many but really depends on what capabilities you want it to have?

I assume you've already spoken to your local council about running a food business? I know it varies significantly by council but there were far too many requirements for us to do our idea in our area from home. Dont have space for the separate fridge/freezer, extra sink etc they wanted.
  • devofash
    devofash Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 July 2023 at 4:13PM
    Options
    1) It doesn't make much difference if you charge £1/mile and charge one way or £0.50 per mile and charge both ways. What will be very notable is that your delivery is more expensive than the likes of Deliveroo but presumably you wont be offering live tracking etc? Who is doing your delivery? If it's you, how is the business run whilst you are on the road?

2) What are your requirements on refrigeration etc? Or would the food be safe in the back of a van at 28C for 8 hours?

3) Excel is sufficient for many but really depends on what capabilities you want it to have?

I assume you've already spoken to your local council about running a food business? I know it varies significantly by council but there were far too many requirements for us to do our idea in our area from home. Dont have space for the separate fridge/freezer, extra sink etc they wanted.
    Thanks for getting back to me.

I will be doing delivery. Plan is to prep the orders in the  morning/afternoon and then deliver in the evening. As stated, small business at the moment so all achievable. Yes it will be more expensive than the big companies and no live tracking.

Some items will, some need to be refrigerated.

Excel is what I am using right now. Just wondered if there were apps that might offer better functionality.

Yes all cleared with the council and have got the required certification etc.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,660 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I trust you have Product Liability Insurance
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback