Manhole cover replacement

Hi we have a rectangular manhole cover in our garage that is rusty on top and needs replacement. Shops sell these & water sewage company suggest doing this ourself or private company. 

Has anyone replaced theirs? 
How easy is it & whats the risk of further problems once the lid is lifted? 


  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Forumite Posts: 12,914
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Depending on the age of the cover, it might be as simple as taking the old one to a builders merchant and walking out with an exact match. If it is an old cast iron one, you may need to purchase a cover and frame (they usually come as a pair), cut out the old frame, and cement the new one in place. Not an easy task if you don't have the tools..
    Her courage will change the world.

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Forumite Posts: 1,176
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    I was going to suggest a trench cover plate as a stopgap solution till I saw the price of them.

    Best to take old one to builders merchants as FB advises.
  • Belenus
    Belenus Forumite Posts: 2,494
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 5 July at 12:06PM
    Does it need replacing?

    Can you scrape off the worst of the rust and then paint it with Hammerite direct to rust metal paint or something similar.

    A small tin should cost no more than about £13 if you shop around.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • hoping24
    hoping24 Forumite Posts: 19
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    It’s got holes where the rust is. I tried to lift with the very tiny handles but some more rust fell in so could be a tricky job. 
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Forumite Posts: 3,469
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If it's really rusty, it may hard to remove. As the cover and frame are sold together, you might as well replace both. Worth cutting a piece of timber to go over the benching while cutting out the frame and bedding in the new one with sand/cement.
    Grease up the frame before fitting the cover.
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Forumite Posts: 1,265
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My new manhole covers came with black plastic frames so that they dont rust in place and become difficult to open.
  • Vannaa
    Vannaa Forumite Posts: 30
    10 Posts
    I bought one off Amazon for £29, it came with a plastic surround that presumably gets cemented in. This was for a property I was renting so I just dropped the new cover in the old, very rusted metal surround.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards