We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

I used to put receipts in my composters

Am I worrying too much and is it only minimal risk?

Before I realised many shop receipts contain BPA, I used to shred my shop receipts and put them in my composters. I have then used tbis compost in my garden, where I grow fruit and veg.

Have I any health concerns to worry about because of this?

Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    edited 27 June 2023 at 7:37PM
    No one on here can speak for your concerns - our views are our own and only you can decide about your health. 

So let me instead ask: Are you concerned about the possibility of the BPA leaching into your skin from handling the receipt? 

(Alternatively, do you avoid caned food and drink, as BPA/BPS containing plastic is used to line almost every can.) 

If not, then the comparatively lower, diluted amounts in the compost available to 'contaminate' what you are growing (especially since you are almost certainly not hot composting, so the plastics will have degraded over time) should equally not be a problem. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Thank you.

You have put it into context for me.

Canned tomatoes in my kitchen and handling the receipts themselves probably carry more risk, but still extremely small.

😊
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure