Ticketmaster app??? is this for real?

Options
Brie
Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Just got an email supposedly from Ticketmaster re a concert we're going to this weekend.  I have already printed the tickets to take with us and am surprised that there's on mention of using printed tickets at all.

Anyone had this before???

Hi there,

PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL AND ENSURE YOU HAVE CARRIED OUT THE BELOW BEFORE SETTING OFF TO THE VENUE. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY CAUSE DELAYS TO YOUR ENTRY INTO THE EVENT.

Your tickets are Mobile Entry, so your phone is your ticket. Please make sure to follow the instructions below before leaving for your event to ensure that your tickets can be scanned for entry, even if phone or Wi-Fi signal is poor at the venue. 

Download your tickets to the Ticketmaster App

1. Download or update to the latest version of the Ticketmaster iPhone app here or the Android app here.
  2. From the app, find your order in My Events.
  3. View your tickets by tapping View Barcode. Screenshots of your barcodes won’t get you in.
  4. Your tickets are now downloaded & secured in the Ticketmaster App, ready for scanning at the event.

Adding to Phone Wallet

• Android users may also add their tickets to Google Wallet, by downloading the Google Pay App on their phone.

• Unfortunately add to wallet is not available yet for iPhone users, but don’t worry, your tickets are safe and secure in the Ticketmaster App.

International fans

If you’re an international fan, you must access your tickets by signing into your online account through a mobile web browser and not the app.

If you’ve already sold or transferred your tickets or are no longer attending the event, then no action is required.

We hope you enjoy the event!

Ticketmaster Customer Service

Mobile tickets have been upgraded

Moving to animated mobile tickets unlocks a host of benefits. From greater security to decreased fraud, using mobile makes it easier and quicker for you to enter the venue. 

Simply open up tickets in the Ticketmaster app and present your smartphone for scanning.

Please note: screenshots of your mobile ticket will not be valid for entry.

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 27 June 2023 at 4:24PM
    Options
    Brie said:
    Just got an email supposedly from Ticketmaster re a concert we're going to this weekend.  I have already printed the tickets to take with us and am surprised that there's on mention of using printed tickets at all.

Anyone had this before???
    Not had it but its not new news https://business.ticketmaster.co.uk/business-solutions/were-launching-animated-tickets/ 

The idea is you cannot use printed tickets or screenshots of tickets but only the animated ticket in the app... if they are enforcing that or not is another question. Clearly easier for them to validate the ticket is genuine and with the correct owner by doing it this way whereas screenshots/prints are easy to manipulate and share/sell. If the tickets are sellable it conveniently also means you have to sell it via their platform 

Did the prior emails talk about printing them?

If your phone dies etc then you go to the box office and they give you a physical ticket after checking your ID
  • Brie
    Options
    being the cautious (aka cynical) sort I haven't clicked on the link but went to the app store and downloaded the ticketmaster app and have seen that the barcoded tickets are available on that.  I don't want to then add the google app as well so will simply take the printed tickets with me as back up (helpful too if one of us needs the loo or goes to buy drinks or whatever)

The previous email said something about screenshots not being accepted but also mentioned how to print the tickets. So obviously they must be prepared for some people showing up who have stupid phones instead of the latest tech.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 818 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've used tickets from Ticketmaster saved to my Google wallet a few times with no problems. Like it says, no need for WiFi/data, you just save them in advance. The Google wallet ones aren't even animated, but it's more convenient for me than printing.

If you're unsure if they'll accept your printed tickets, contacting the venue directly is probably a better shout than contacting Ticketmaster. 
  • lianne1984
    lianne1984 Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes looks legit to me. The new animated tickets are pretty good, we used them last week for Harry Styles.
    February NSDs: 0 / 10
    February PADs:  2 / 29
    February Groceries Challenge: £59 / £250
    February Make £5 a Day: £255 / £145
    Current Debt: £3159  | CC £1490 | N £571 | C £725 | E £373
    Weight Loss Challenge 2024: 0 lbs

• double_dutchy
    Options
    It's quite common now for sports events at least.

I went to the ashes test at Edgbaston last week - you now need to download the app on to your mobile and scan the ticket (within the app) on your mobile to gain entry.

I also have a football season ticket - it's in my "Google wallet", also on my mobile
  • Brie
    Options
    Part of my caution in printing the tickets is down to hearing about my brother missing a concert in Canada when there was a nationwide failure of the internet.  No electronic tickets could be shown (also no online banking, police in turmoil, air traffic control a mess) for about 36 hours.  I think he said the concert was cancelled as there was no alternative.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie said:
    Part of my caution in printing the tickets is down to hearing about my brother missing a concert in Canada when there was a nationwide failure of the internet.  No electronic tickets could be shown (also no online banking, police in turmoil, air traffic control a mess) for about 36 hours.  I think he said the concert was cancelled as there was no alternative.
    TBH if there's a "a nationwide failure of the internet." I suspect the venue won't be able to scan & validate paper tickets either
  • Brie
    Options
    fyi - just as a follow up (Paul Heaton, champion guy, excellent concert) 

got to the venue and pulled the printed tickets out of my pocket and they scanned them without any question.  So no need to have the app which I have now deleted from my phone.  I think the security was actually less concerned about tickets than if I was carrying a bag of any sort - one of the email things stated "no bags bigger than an A4 piece of paper & no umbrellas".  The no umbrellas thing might have been an issue given it's all outdoor but the clouds had cleared and I had to put on a baseball cap to keep the blazing sun out of my eyes instead of needing it to keep the rain off my glasses!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback