🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to use a surplus food app even though I'm not struggling?

Options

Comments

• bikaga
    bikaga Posts: 160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 June 2023 at 10:49PM
    Options
    I do this sometimes (I live some way from the best deals, so not very often, plus I have some dietary restrictions). What I do is, unless I know it's something non-essential that my town has plenty of (say Costa Coffee leftovers or cake for example, we have loads of those), I'll wait 15 minutes or so after it becomes available. If someone else is faster, fine. If not, then it's mine. If it's non-essential and I know there's usually more offer than demand (cake etc) then I don't bother waiting.

(Disclaimer - I live in a city, so popular deals like artisan bakers, sushi, donuts etc are usually gone within 2 minutes of going live. And yes, I'm aware that some people work shifts and won't see things until 5 hours later, but in that case, whether I take them or not, there'd be a dozen others in line by then.)
  • gothvixen
    gothvixen Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As with many of the forum questions, it comes down to morals. I was in a terrible situation when my 2 sons were young, due to their father's death from alcoholism leaving me with so much debt. For over 18 months (07-09) we had only £20 cash each week for food, travel or whatever else was needed. I have cried in Tesco when the pushy grabbed the reduced food we NEEDED. If others exploit the offer and leave the needy short, you don't have to join them. It depends on whether you have a conscience that might trouble you.
  • Ed264
    Ed264 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chances are that everyone, however rich or poor, can download said app. Basically, it amounts to a first-come, first served basis. Carry on as you are, I say.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure