Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to use a surplus food app even though I'm not struggling?

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 345 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 27 June 2023 at 12:54PM in Food shopping & groceries
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I read about an app that allows you to buy discounted food from supermarkets that would otherwise be thrown away. I thought this was a great idea, so I downloaded and started using it. My local deli was on it and I bought £12 worth of food for just £4. But then I started to think that, while I'm not rich, I'm hardly poor, so should I be using this app or leaving it so there's more available to those who are struggling?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B) If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
:/ Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Comments

• Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nothing wrong with saving money - just because someone is poor does not mean they will be using the app.
    2020 Wins:
  • OmoEgba
    OmoEgba Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's fine. The aim of these apps are to reduce food waste. Charities know the apps are available and should use they but they don't.  yeo don't. The refore the argument is moot if the charities will not take the food available or if the people struggling do not like what they find. I personally don't waste food and if what I want has a yellow sticker I will buy it.
  • ambioni
    ambioni Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If we're talking about an app like "Too Good to Go" then I don't see the problem. I use one every couple of weeks or so, usually local artisan bakeries or sometimes our local Dobbies which has a small Sainsburys instore....I am on a good wage as is my partner so we don't have to worry too much about the cost of groceries normally. Apps like that are a bit of fun, you're saving food from being wasted and you're not getting it for free, just very discounted because it is so close to its end of shelf life.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback