Extension Costs

Options
Hi,

We are in the south coast of the UK, looking at knocking down our current conservatory and replacing it with an extension, going out 1.5m extra. So total space will be 3.3m x 4.5m (by 3m height). It is for a bedroom, and will involve moving the boiler slightly, as well as installing a new shower and replacing the current toilet.

Council have approved it under the prior approval for larger extension schemes, I have paid the initial fee for building regs (and will be paying them directly).

The house is a mid terrace house, with a narrow doorway and no rear access.

I have had two quotes of £40k + VAT and £41k + VAT.

Seems on the high side to me, we had a £30k "estimate" before we did the plans (and the plans are actually smaller than what we had the estimate for).

Comments

• maurice28
    maurice28 Posts: 316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are in the north west of England, so a completely different area which I'm sure will affect things. In April 2022 we started work on a 4.5m x 3.6m flat roof, single storey extension. The quotes we got were between £38 and £40k - this included VAT and covered:
    • Groundworks and foundations
    • Laying of a new patio and building of a retaining wall for the lawn, which is at a higher level than the patio (this was about 1m tall by 12m wide
    • Building of the extension itself
    • Bricking up what used to be the backdoor
    • Plastering and electrics (installing six spotlights and four double plug sockets) for the extension.
    We also had a new boiler installed (in the same room as the old one but in a different location, so new pipework etc needed) for an extra £2,750 including VAT. There were other costs, such as moving gas and electricity meters, which weren't included in the original quote.

Access to our back garden was via a shared covered alleyway - they managed to get a micro digger down this, to give an idea of ease of access.

Hope that might help - let me know of any other questions around process!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback