We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Amazon Prime - reduced subscription discount

Having subscribed to Amazon Prime for some 8yrs and not a everyday purchaser of goods or Prime video's.

I contacted Amazon explaining as a OAP and not a everyday user etc., and asked if possible of a reduced subscription.

They came back as much they value my membership and wish for me to continue with them, they do not offer any form of discounted subscription for OAP's etc.

So I cancelled my membership and nothing more forth coming from them. 

Yet I know they do offer reduced membership subscriptions, up to half-price.

Any comments/suggestions as to approach Amazon for better terms.
«1

Comments

  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There's no obligation for anyone to offer you any discount if they don't want to  - subject to discrimination laws. 
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,531
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Having subscribed to Amazon Prime for some 8yrs and not a everyday purchaser of goods or Prime video's.

    I contacted Amazon explaining as a OAP and not a everyday user etc., and asked if possible of a reduced subscription.

    They came back as much they value my membership and wish for me to continue with them, they do not offer any form of discounted subscription for OAP's etc.

    So I cancelled my membership and nothing more forth coming from them. 

    Yet I know they do offer reduced membership subscriptions, up to half-price.

    Any comments/suggestions as to approach Amazon for better terms.
    What you could try is saying that you haven't reaped the benefits of your Prime account in the past year. If you can say you've only had x transactions and not used (m)any other services you may well get some or all of a refund for the past year.

    .
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,531
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    One more thing, you don't say how you contacted them. I've tended to find the best results come from live chat.
    .
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 4,091
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I cancelled my Amazon Prime sub last month, fully intending to restart it with the O2 discount but I've quickly realised I am making huge savings, above and beyond the £95 a year as I'm no longer ordering tat I don't really need every week.

    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,531
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 1 September at 3:40PM

    I only ever use the free / discounted membership. Currently coming to the end of a 3 months for £4.99 offer which came with 12 weeks of vouchers - watch a video for a £5 off £10 spend etc. I would definitely not get any value from £8.99 pm !

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,237
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I cancelled Prime and only choose the free delivery option and it surprised me to find that sometimes the
    delivery is faster than using Prime.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 8,336
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Everyone is different

    I’ve had Amazon Prime for 8 years, since we moved to a rural area. I buy most non food items from Amazon. Never had any tat though, if you have then it maybe it’s you. Most of the things I buy are available from other places usually at a higher price with much slower delivery. and I get next day delivery included. The only time delivery was a bit slower was during the Covid outbreak. I watch loads of films as well so it’s excellent value

    The discounted membership they offer seems to be through the Amazon Prime Student page, which offers a 50% reduction for students and young adults aged 18 to 24.  I couldn’t find anything obviously for pensioners though

  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 8,336
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I’ve never found anywhere that delivers faster than Amazon. I ordered something at 2.00 am and it was delivered at 6.00 pm 😺

  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,412
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 4 September at 5:29AM

    I save more than double my money on delivery fees as I order 30l of cat litter regularly that I can't get elsewhere and loads of other stuff that is never tat. You need to read the reviews before buying.
    I also use prime video or rather other people in the house do so definitely worth it.

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,237
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I did that when they announced the same day delivery, I needed a small 40mm fan in a hurry and suprised that was available even
    though the order was under £5.

    Slowly over time it appears to have gotten worse though. Order several items with different expected delivery days and I choose
    for them to be delivered on a single day but they never seem to read that and they arrived in dribs and drabs.
    Items were not arriving on the days they show, cancelling worked for me.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.