Faulty after wearing

Options
I purchased a dress from a small independent business ( supporting the little uns) for £155 on may 10th for a wedding June 17th. I wore the dress and within 6 hours the boning had torn the fabric and was protruding out and rubbed against my skin. I contacted the company the following day to ask their advice re the dress as they had no return details. They asked me to send it back to them ( at my own cost ) which I did. They emailed me back today and said as I had worn the dress that is what had caused the damage and there for they wouldn’t be offering me a refund but as a gesture of goodwill they would repair. I cannot see how they can repair it to its original look and quite honestly was annoyed at the blame towards myself. I personally think clothing should be made to be worn and especially more than once before it starts falling apart. Do I have to accept this offer of repair or am I entitled to a refund ? 
Thanks 

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I purchased a dress from a small independent business ( supporting the little uns) for £155 on may 10th for a wedding June 17th. I wore the dress and within 6 hours the boning had torn the fabric and was protruding out and rubbed against my skin. I contacted the company the following day to ask their advice re the dress as they had no return details. They asked me to send it back to them ( at my own cost ) which I did. They emailed me back today and said as I had worn the dress that is what had caused the damage and there for they wouldn’t be offering me a refund but as a gesture of goodwill they would repair. I cannot see how they can repair it to its original look and quite honestly was annoyed at the blame towards myself. I personally think clothing should be made to be worn and especially more than once before it starts falling apart. Do I have to accept this offer of repair or am I entitled to a refund ? 
    Thanks 

They can legally offer a repair.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 June 2023 at 8:37PM
    Options
    Yes, they can.

However if the attempt to repair is unsuccessful you are entitled to a refund.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,339 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess it should be confirmed that the dress fit properly.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You had 30 days for a short term reject, if that had happened then you could claim a full refund (if you didn't cause the damage)

As it happened after the 30 days I agree with others, they only have to offer repair or replace (their choice).
    Let's Be Careful Out There
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure