Customs charges for unwanted parcel

Options
I recently received a parcel from a distant relative overseas in the US who decided to send me a few knick knacks and a couple 20 dollar notes. While in the moment I appreciated that she had thought of me and decided to send me something, I have now been informed that I owe customs charges on this parcel of around £70.

At first I had been confused by this, as I had believed it was the responsibility of the sender to pay customs charges. I realise that this is not the case when ordering shopping online, but again, I assumed this to be different, as in that instance you would have requested the things being posted.

The problem I have is that the £70 is something that I reaally can't afford to pay, and is definitely more than the parcel's contents were worth to begin with. If this is truly how the system works then it also seems incredibly concerning and ripe for abuse. Knowing the addresso of someone, could you, unwanted and unasked for, repeatedly send them parcel after parcel, collecting more and more customs charges?

Any advise you can provide on this would be much appreciated!

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There is an argument that the system is open for abuse but at the same time once someone caught you once or twice you'd start refusing delivery of unsolicited parcels.

Have you checked the declaration of what they said was the content and its value? Does it tie up with the importation bill? 

You can re-export the package back to the sender and reclaim the tax elements but when you add the cost of postage plus the lost handing fee it may not be worth while.

If you confirm the charges are right it may be more worth a conversation with the relative that you appreciated but it is costly for you (but they can order from Amazon.co.uk or send you money via Wise and avoid the taxes). Importation taxes in the US are typically much lower than the UK hence less of a thing to think about for the sender unless they used to live here.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I recently received a parcel from a distant relative overseas in the US who decided to send me a few knick knacks and a couple 20 dollar notes. While in the moment I appreciated that she had thought of me and decided to send me something, I have now been informed that I owe customs charges on this parcel of around £70.

At first I had been confused by this, as I had believed it was the responsibility of the sender to pay customs charges. I realise that this is not the case when ordering shopping online, but again, I assumed this to be different, as in that instance you would have requested the things being posted.

The problem I have is that the £70 is something that I reaally can't afford to pay, and is definitely more than the parcel's contents were worth to begin with. If this is truly how the system works then it also seems incredibly concerning and ripe for abuse. Knowing the addresso of someone, could you, unwanted and unasked for, repeatedly send them parcel after parcel, collecting more and more customs charges?

Any advise you can provide on this would be much appreciated!
    It's not really consumer rights, which come into play when you purchase something from a retailer.

It's between you and your distant relative. It's basically the same issue as when your great aunt Dora sends you an extravagent heavy birthday card with just an 'ordinary' stamp on and you have to pay excess postage to collect it.

When your distant relative posted the parcel in the US they would have had to fill in the customs declaration which asks if it is a gift and what is the value. If it is a gift of value less than $170 there would have been no duty to pay. More expensive gifts pay duty at 2.5%, so there must have been quite a few knick-knacks and dollar bills in that parcel!

If you can't afford the customs charge the most straightforward thing to do would be to thank your distant relative but tell them that you will have to pay $90 and you think that is the responsibility of the sender. Or perhaps your relative intended you to use the Jacksons to pay any charges?

I don't understand your last bit about unsolicited parcels. Customs charges go to the Government. The sender doesn't get them.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The problem I have is that the £70 is something that I reaally can't afford to pay, and is definitely more than the parcel's contents were worth to begin with. 
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-vat-and-customs-duty-on-gifts#querying-charges

If the contents are worth less than £70 then Customs Duty isn't payable - maybe VAT is.  If less than £39 - neither.   So as DulllGreyGuy says - check the contents and the declared value and challenge.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is duty even payable on cash? i.e. the dollar bills?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Alderbank said:
    I don't understand your last bit about unsolicited parcels. Customs charges go to the Government. The sender doesn't get them.
    I assume talking about being able to create a nuisance to your ex/random stranger you hate by being able to send them a host of parcels from overseas on which they have to pay fees. The sender doesn't get the money but it annoys/costs the recipient

In reality it is likely to cost the sender as much as the recipient but for some it may be a price worth paying I guess
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 June 2023 at 2:38PM
    Options
    NBLondon said:

If the contents are worth less than £70 then Customs Duty isn't payable - maybe VAT is. 
    Your link says:

Gifts over £39 are liable to Import VAT. Customs Duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback