Fridge freezer replacement drawers

Options

Hi all, trying to figure out what my legal rights are here. I bought a new build house last year – I took ownership on 7 July 2022. As part of the build we were provided with a fridge freezer by the builder (so that makes them the supplier I think). Over the last 11 months every drawer in both the fridge and freezer have cracked / broken. We’ve just lived with it, but now it’s becoming annoying.

I tried to contact the manufacturer (Zanussi) to get replacements under warranty, but they’re claiming that their manufacturers warranty doesn’t cover drawers, but that I could buy spares (looking at about £180 in total to replace all drawers). I argued that they were neither of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose as all have broken, therefore a possible design flaw. They (the manufacturer) have said it’s the supplier’s issue to resolve and replace.

The house builder is saying that because the drawers were all in good order when I took ownership, they will not replace them.

Where do I stand? Do I have any legal right to get all drawers replaced, or do I need to just suck it up and buy them direct from Zanussi? If the law is on my side, how would you suggest I proceed?

Comments

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    Zanussi are correct they aren't obligated to replace free of charge if the warranty doesn’t cover drawers.

Rights lie with the supplier but after 6 months burden of proof falls on yourself to show the drawers weren't durable which might prove difficult.

Have you had a look for non branded parts on eBay or the like? 
  • Drummer1991
    Options
    Zanussi are correct they aren't obligated to replace free of charge if the warranty doesn’t cover drawers.

Rights lie with the supplier but after 6 months burden of proof falls on yourself to show the drawers weren't durable which might prove difficult.

Have you had a look for non branded parts on eBay or the like? 
    Thanks. That’s helpful. No, I haven’t but I’ll take a look. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback