Fridge Freezer Faulty after 4 years

Options
Hi all, I'm quite good at the ole consumer rights and have successfully returned faulty goods over the years despite attempts by companies to block me.  However, this particular case is something I'm not really sure how to go about.

So, my Hisense fridge freezer is a little over 4 years old.  About 6 months or so ago it started developing some issues.  In the end, its been identified that the wiring loom in the door hinge area has rubbed over time and exposed the wiring.

Looking online and the issue itself it appears that this is a very common design fault and has occurred simply by using the door, ie opening and closing it!!!!!!!!

AO accepts this, has accepted the report I have sent them, and accepted the £400 repair (originally priced £800) for a new door (Cant replace the wiring) is not economical.  They have offered a £50 refund towards the repair/fault of the fridge freezer.

I don't think this is acceptable, this is not down to mistreatment and not wear and tear but an inherent design fault of how the cabling runs around the hinge of the door.  How do I push back on AO with this?

Comments

• Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As It's 4 years old they can deduct an amount for usage. How much did the fridge cost originally.
    Come on you Irons
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    In addition to the above, what do you mean by:
    and accepted the £400 repair (originally priced £800) for a new door
    That they agree its a reasonable repair costs but are only offering £50 towards it?

Or they are paying £450?

Or they are writing off the item and say its worth £50 factoring in the use to date?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the wiring can't be replaced, how can a repair be made, anyway?  What are you going to do with £50, it doesn't make sense.

If they're saying that £50 is their offer for an appliance that cost £800 four years ago, that's pretty mean.  Id be going back to them with a higher figure in mind.  Straight-line depreciation over say, 10 years, would mean a nominal value of £480 today but straight-line depreciation and ten years are debatable variables.  They've already rejected a repair of £400, so would they offer £300 towards a new appliance?  You might suggest that you'd accept that in AO credit (worth more to them) or a lesser sum in cash.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If the wiring can't be replaced, how can a repair be made, anyway?  What are you going to do with £50, it doesn't make sense.
    I assume it'll be like ours... its not cost efficient to dismantle the door and rewire it -v- buying a new door pre-wired and just connect it up at the other end.
  • Chrissy2020
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses.

Originally cost about £800.
    The wiring harness is not serviceable so has to be an entirely new door at about £400 plus £50 fitting/call-out fee.
    AO has offered £50 for either the new door or a new fridge freezer I presume.

I don't think £50 is sufficient based on the design fault issues i mention.  And that opening and closing a door should not effect the performance/longevity of a product and its this particular aspect i need help in pushing with the correct consumer rights act jargon.

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses.

Originally cost about £800.
    The wiring harness is not serviceable so has to be an entirely new door at about £400 plus £50 fitting/call-out fee.
    AO has offered £50 for either the new door or a new fridge freezer I presume.

I don't think £50 is sufficient based on the design fault issues i mention.  And that opening and closing a door should not effect the performance/longevity of a product and its this particular aspect i need help in pushing with the correct consumer rights act jargon.

Are you sure they're offer is only £50 and you haven't misunderstood?  If they know the new door costs £400 alone and the fitting is £50, why would they offer just £50?  It doesn't really make sense unless it's an opening gambit for a refund (see below) that they hope you'll accept.

I agree that £50 is insufficient.  It's the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you should be referencing.  Since they've acknowledged the fault as an inherent one, they must implement their choice of a replacement, a repair or a refund.  They've ruled out a repair on economical grounds, they aren't offering a replacement, so that leaves a refund.  A refund can be reduced to reflect use to date, but £50 for a four year old appliance that cost £800 seems pretty derisory.  I'd be pushing for something closer to £300-400, but as mentioned before, you might "sweeten" that counter-offer by saying you'll accept it in AO credit which you could put towards a replacement.  You get a realistic refund, they get new custom.
  • Chrissy2020
    Chrissy2020 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Duck...bingo!

The previous lady started that once I send them a copy of the report they would offer a refund based on the period of ownership which depending on what would have been I think is the right way to resolve the issue.

However, I have had to chase the response for 3 weeks and now a guy is dealing with it. He has offered 50 quid which is not sufficient.

I shall use some of your wording and proceed on that basis and will let you know the outcome.
  • screech_78
    screech_78 Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    The company I work with would offer £267 on an item priced at £800 that was faulty exactly 4 years after purchase. It would decrease with every month of ownership. 
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2023 at 9:49PM
    Options
    The company I work with would offer £267 on an item priced at £800 that was faulty exactly 4 years after purchase. It would decrease with every month of ownership. 
    Interesting.
    That's a very precise figure. What does your company do if the customer tries to negotiate?
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    Alderbank said:
    Interesting.
    That's a very precise figure. What does your company do if the customer tries to negotiate?
    Can see why it's precise, classed it as 2 years left of 6,  but interested to know  about a negotiation.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure