Dead Father's Lost Shares & Assets

Options
My sister received a letter from Georgeson's addressed to my deceased father. It was about shares and dividends from Young & Co's Brewery which we were unaware of.
We are being guided by Georgeson's to Re-register the shares in our name, sell, or donate to charity. Alternatively they say we can contact Young’s Registrar direct to update the shareholding and claim the dividends, the registrar is Computershare Investor Services PLC - who own Georgeston's.
Does anyone know "the process" for claiming lost shares and dividends - and then selling them? The selling part is very confusing as of course, Georegson's and Computershare both want do that for a fee and I have no idea how to simply sell shares.
A flow chart would be ideal - does anybody know of one?

Comments

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My sister received a letter from Georgeson's addressed to my deceased father. It was about shares and dividends from Young & Co's Brewery which we were unaware of.
    We are being guided by Georgeson's to Re-register the shares in our name, sell, or donate to charity. Alternatively they say we can contact Young’s Registrar direct to update the shareholding and claim the dividends, the registrar is Computershare Investor Services PLC - who own Georgeston's.
    Does anyone know "the process" for claiming lost shares and dividends - and then selling them? The selling part is very confusing as of course, Georegson's and Computershare both want do that for a fee and I have no idea how to simply sell shares.

Don't bother with Georgsons - Google tells me its a 'asset reunification company' owned by Computershare - and have the executor contact Computershare. I don't have time to Google for you but usually registrars have a section on their sites dealing with bereavement/probate with instructions and forms. As the registrar, you won't be able to avoid Computershares fees. 

Computershare can sell them for you - registrars are usually a rip-off - though you should be able to have the re-registered in another name and have them lodged with a cheap broker and sell them there e.g., X-O.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    Computershare contact details,

• Orchidroom
    Options
    wmb194 said:

Don't bother with Georgsons - Google tells me its a 'asset reunification company' owned by Computershare - and have the executor contact Computershare. I don't have time to Google for you but usually registrars have a section on their sites dealing with bereavement/probate with instructions and forms. As the registrar, you won't be able to avoid Computershares fees. 

Computershare can sell them for you - registrars are usually a rip-off - though you should be able to have the re-registered in another name and have them lodged with a cheap broker and sell them there e.g., X-O.
    Thanks, I have checked the Computershare costs to get the certificate re registered which takes to to the 'cheap broker' to sell them bit. No idea who to contact or how to check what cheap is. Any ideas? Thanks
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2023 at 11:42AM
    Options
    Hi,
    as wbm194 said above, X-O, look HERE, and HERE.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 22 June 2023 at 5:56PM
    Options

How about this ?
    Guidlines_to_Registering_a_Death_V3.indd (computershare.com)

In my experience with Computershare a couple of years ago when executor of an estate, you don't need to get the shares transferred into your name unless you intend keeping them - once they have sight of the probate documents, the Computershare Deceased Estates Sales Service department can sell the shares on your behalf and put the money into an executor account. 
    Share Dealing | Investor Centre (computershare.com)

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

How about this ?
    Guidlines_to_Registering_a_Death_V3.indd (computershare.com)

In my experience with Computershare a couple of years ago when executor of an estate, you don't need to get the shares transferred into your name unless you intend keeping them - once they have sight of the probate documents, the Computershare Deceased Estates Sales Service department can sell the shares on your behalf and put the money into an executor account. 
    Share Dealing | Investor Centre (computershare.com)

Yes, but it's likely to be a ripoff, although it'll depend on how much you value the convenience.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback