Home insurance claim rejected

Options
I have an induction hob that was cracked partially when I moved into the house 6 months ago it was a very small crack that didn’t effect the use of the hob however a week ago the crack has grown and has gone through the centre of the hun so I now can’t be used . I’ve tried to make an accidental damage claim on my home insurance and they will not honour it due to it being cracked before. This seems very unfair as I’ve been honest by telling them the crack was already there. Does anyone think I can appeal this decision ? Wear and tear isn’t covered unfortunately.

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You bought this item and it was broken so I don’t think you have any chance with insurance.
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    Options

This seems very unfair as I’ve been honest by telling them the crack was already there. 
    It seems very unfair you're trying to get the insurer to pay for an event that happened before they insured it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
     I’ve tried to make an accidental damage claim on my home insurance and they will not honour it due to it being cracked before.
    That is the correct and expected outcome.  It is not an accidental damage claim.

This seems very unfair as I’ve been honest by telling them the crack was already there. 
    You bought an item that was damaged and that damage has continued to deteriorate.  Home insurance is not for that sort of thing.

Does anyone think I can appeal this decision ? 
    Nothing to appeal.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback