Question regarding use of tickets bought with a senior railcard to exit ticket barriers

Options
I have only had the above since March so haven't used it many times yet. I have noticed though that, on arrival at my destination, the ticket barrier  doesn't fully accept my actual ticket.  It flashes orange not red but the gates don't open. I have had to show my ticket to a staff member who has then let me through. I have been given different reasons for this.
 Greater Anglia said that my local station had used an incorrect code when selling me the ticket. The staff member at Godalming (South western trains) today said that they had been ordered to 'lock' the barriers against any tickets bought with a senior railcard and ask to see the card. They can't lift this lock without permission. However, he let me through without even seeing my railcard. On my return, later in the day, a different staff member asked to see my card but, as I went to get it out, he waved me through without actually checking it.  I don't think I ever had this happen when I had  discounted tickets bought with my previous Annual Gold Card.  Has anyone else had similar experiences? 

Comments

• Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don’t know if staff have been asked to check railcards but I suspect it’s similar to buying alcohol in supermarkets - they’re required to check I’m over 21 but never ask to see my driving licence.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    Options
    Seems reasonable to me.  I've been asked by a ticket inspector, on the train, to show my Railcard at the same time as my ticket.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They have to ask unless you look ancient :)
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2023 at 8:21PM
    Options
    They have to ask unless you look ancient :)
    So I  should be offended they don’t ask to see my drivers licence.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 June 2023 at 9:01PM
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    Seems reasonable to me.  I've been asked by a ticket inspector, on the train, to show my Railcard at the same time as my ticket.
    By a ticket inspector on the train yes but I am not convinced about blocking barriers in this way (except for an official spot check by a team of revenue staff). 
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have had a senior railcard for 11 years...travel by train weekly and have never had this problem with the gates 
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happens with me with one particular set of barriers at Waterloo, the ones at the main entry/exit to the old International platforms, but not at any others in the station. Never been told the reason, there is often a line of people for the chap to let through and they just open the barrier. My railcard is probably visible in the open wallet in my other hand but it has never been inspected.
  • MilesT6060842
    Options
    On and off recently Waterloo station fare gates have been blocking entry ("4x seek assistance") on tickets purchased with any railcard for revenue protection reasons. I confirmed that with gateline employees.  The ticket did work the gates at another station earlier in the journey--using the cost saving of buying a London Terminals ticket at Charing cross and then crossing the Thames to Waterloo East rather than walking/tubing all the way to Waterloo from Oxford Street.

Missed a train last Thursday because I got stuck behind a bunch of people waiting for gateline assistance.

Ticket did work automatically for exit, though, later in the evening

I dread to think how that would work out if I wanted to get to the platforms from the subway from the underground
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I find it varies. Some journeys straight through, others I have to ask to be let through every step. 
    Now not a gainfully employed bassist.
  • Jaybee_16
    Jaybee_16 Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bought tickets recently for a journey on GWR using my senior railcard. On arrival at Paddington put my ticket in the barrier and gates opened. Railcard and ticket checked on the train but not at station barrier. Same on my return journey.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback