NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible

Travel insurance for medical condition awaiting diagnosis

Has anyone had experience of getting travel insurance cover for a pre existing medical condition that has not yet been fully diagnosed, or await b tests, or investigations?  I have just been denied cover throughly our CoOp bank annual travel insurance policy, because during medical declaration I disclosed that I have vertigo and just been referred to ENT for investigation.  They will not cover me for any medical issue that “arises directly or indirectly” not only from my vertigo, but all my other pre existing conditions , which were previously covered. I will be covered for any  “unforeseen” medical issue.   I’m off to the US on 27th June to visit my family, and much prefer to have full medical cover in place before I go.  


  • Marmaduke123
    Marmaduke123 Forumite Posts: 793
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Please don't go to the US without full medical insurance! I think it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to get travel insurance when your condition has not been fully diagnosed, as tthe insurance company would not be able to assess their potential liabilities. Perhaps try a broker, and/or pay for a private ENT consultation and any investigations deemed necessary as a result.
  • christianick
    christianick Forumite Posts: 9
    10 Posts
    Reach out to multiple insurance providers and inquire about their policies regarding pre-existing medical conditions. Some insurers may offer coverage for conditions that are being investigated or awaiting a diagnosis, while others may have stricter criteria. Comparing different providers can help you find one that offers the coverage you need.
  • Baled
    Baled Forumite Posts: 77
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I had a similar situation - I always purchase cover for pre-existing conditions but in March I was referred for an urgent gastroenterology appointment.

    I went private through medical insurance at work but for a European trip I had booked in April I was finding it impossible to get covered for my pre-existing conditions. One of the insurers did give me a broker's number who put me in touch with All Clear.

    They wouldn't cover the undiagnosed element but did cover the other conditions. It cost about double than I'd paid for previous trips but I was just glad to get it sorted in the end.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Forumite Posts: 4,570
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    When you telephone or email various companies say you are staying with family.
    Might be a long shot that will help as being a low key holiday as opposed to doing a grand tour with a company.

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

  • michele-p
    michele-p Forumite Posts: 802
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Hi, we had a similar situation last year when my husband was waiting diagnosis. I went through many quotes, we ended up using Avanti Travel. Maybe worth a try, also Staysure are very good with declared illness too. For US travel wherever you get insurance will be pretty steep, but obviously essential to have. good luck
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Forumite Posts: 3,058
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    As said above - don't travel to the USA without full medical insurance cover.
    The worst case scenario doesn't bear thinking about.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards