Seems none of my coworkers have been happy after redundancy?

Options
Wondering if this is the norm, had a meet up yesterday with my former colleague after we got made redundant in March.  

I thought I was the only one struggling with my new job, 1 guy lasted couple of weeks decided he was gonna take early retirement, another guy walked out after a month, these two guys alone each worked over 30 years for our last employer.

The other 3 of us have all been searching and applying for anything to get out of our new jobs, all with limited success.

I had thought myself after 3 months I’d have come to like my new job but nope, seems we’re all in the same boat. 

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 June 2023 at 6:47AM
    Options
    What is it specifically that you don't like about your current job, but you did like about your previous (prior to redundancy) employer?

You need to identify that, otherwise a new (future) job, could have the same issues.

I personally think you need to give it 6 months - 3 months isn't enough.
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Emmia said:
    What is it specifically that you don't like about your current job, but you did like about your previous (prior to redundancy) employer?

You need to identify that, otherwise a new (future) job, could have the same issues.

Silly as it sounds it’s lack of human interaction, sure we’re there to work etc but there’s no small talk, no “What did you get up to last night or isn’t it a lovely day” none of that, I thought perhaps it was just with me being a newbie but nope they’re like that with themselves, they even sit it their cars at lunch time to avoid small talk in the canteen.

Extremely odd and something I’ve not experienced elsewhere, it’s a long day in work talking to no one all day. 

It’s the type of thing you don’t know about a workplace until you’re in.

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    n1guy said:
    Emmia said:

Silly as it sounds it’s lack of human interaction, sure we’re there to work etc but there’s no small talk, no “What did you get up to last night or isn’t it a lovely day” none of that, I thought perhaps it was just with me being a newbie but nope they’re like that with themselves, they even sit it their cars at lunch time to avoid small talk in the canteen.

Extremely odd and something I’ve not experienced elsewhere, it’s a long day in work talking to no one all day. 

It’s the type of thing you don’t know about a workplace until you’re in.

It's a different culture, perhaps they fear redundancy/being fired if they're seen to be chatting too much? But if it's not for you, then keep hunting...
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you work 30 years for an employer must be hard to start a job at a new company. Your ex work colleagues were probably struggling to adjust. 

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Most people I know who were made redundant, quite understandably,  applied for any and all vaguely suitable job vacancies they saw in a way that was much less discerning than they they would have done had the need to find new employment been less urgent, and jumped into the first job they were offered with relief that they had secured a job, any job.  It has worked out well for a few of them, but the majority have moved on again, in a more considered way, within a relatively short period of time.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • GenieBoy
    GenieBoy Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When you've worked for one employer for a very like time (30 years) you become institutionalised which will make it very hard if you have to change jobs.  
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    In the last 30 years workplaces have changed beyond recognition. The jovial having a laugh while working culture is gone.
    It's so easy to offend a colleague in today's world that it's best not to joke at all. I'm retired but my siblings are not and they struggle in their 50s with culture change.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    n1guy said:
    Wondering if this is the norm, had a meet up yesterday with my former colleague after we got made redundant in March.  

I thought I was the only one struggling with my new job, 1 guy lasted couple of weeks decided he was gonna take early retirement, another guy walked out after a month, these two guys alone each worked over 30 years for our last employer.
    That is not unusual, they had probably got complacent, almost institutionalised, they then had to deal with a new company, new colleagues, new processes and adapting significantly, from the sound of it in their late fifties, sixties, or older. Some older people are happy to adapt in new roles, but they are not usually the ones who have stayed in the same place for thirty years. 
    n1guy said:
    The other 3 of us have all been searching and applying for anything to get out of our new jobs, all with limited success.

I had thought myself after 3 months I’d have come to like my new job but nope, seems we’re all in the same boat. 
    What is it that you do not like though, just the change of it not being the same place as before, or something specific that would be regarded as unliked by the general working populace? Was the new job one you took because you needed a job, or one you actually wanted?

There are still loads of jobs out there at the moment, do you have professional qualifications, transferable skills etc.? Can you upskill or retrain?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback