Is there a way to get a stolen/lost iPad back to its owner?

prowla
prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I bought an iPad for a £5 at a car boot sale.
I knew it was a risk and might not even work.
However, I decided to give it a go.
I reset the iPad and reinitialised it via iTunes and it seemed to work fine, but when got to the point in setup it asked for its Apple ID, so it had an Activation Lock.
Of course, I've no idea who the previous owner was, so that info is not available.
I tried a free unlocking tool but it failed.
I then went to an Apple Store and asked if they could unlock it and they said it could only be unlocked via the Apple Support web site.
I didn't believe them, but I wasn't inclined to argue the point.
I tried Apple Support online, but it wanted the original sales receipt, which (of course) I don't have.
So I went to a paid unlocker and tried there.
They came back and said it couldn't be unlocked because it was lost/stolen.
So now I've got a bricked iPad.
No worries - it was a punt which didn't work out.
I might Jailbreak it, just for the heck of it.
However, I'm wondering if there's a mechanism for getting it back to its rightful owner.
Any suggestions on that front?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    On the basis it was £5 its not a modern device otherwise it more than screamed stolen given even not turning on devices from the last 5 years sell for much more than that.

For many years Apple has had a "Lost Mode" that would mean when turned on the device would show a message and telephone number (if it was a phone it could phone that number). If the user hasn't activated it then you are unlikely to find them. There is as much chance it's not stolen but has moved on by other means and is bricked. 

• prowla
    For many years Apple has had a "Lost Mode" that would mean when turned on the device would show a message and telephone number (if it was a phone it could phone that number). If the user hasn't activated it then you are unlikely to find them. There is as much chance it's not stolen but has moved on by other means and is bricked.
    It didn't do that, so no luck on that front.
    It is disappointing that neither the Apple Store nor their online support offered to check it; they've put in place a mechanism but no process to carry it through.

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "I might Jailbreak it, just for the heck of it."

How do you do that, if you can't get past the lock screen?

No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You can't jailbreak when the activation lock is on. There was a way on some old iOS versions but think it has become near impossible since about iOS 9.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • prowla
    GDB2222 said:
    "I might Jailbreak it, just for the heck of it."

How do you do that, if you can't get past the lock screen?

I get to the bit where it wants to register the iPad, which is where it hits the Activation Lock.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I found an apple tracker in our local park. When I checked it with NFC, it gave me a phone number to ring, and we eventually returned it. It had been attached to their dog. They still had the dog, and they were pleased to get the tracker back.

With your ipad, it may have belonged to someone who died, say. The heirs didn't have the passcode. They didn't have the receipt, etc, so they couldn't get Apple to unlock it**. It was an old ipad, and they gave it away. They haven't set a return telephone number, because they don't want it back. It ended up in a car boot sale, where somebody optimistic paid £5 too much for it! :)

** ISTR that Apple will unlock it if the heirs get a court order, but that would only be worthwhile if there are important photos, say, on the machine.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    GDB2222 said:

** ISTR that Apple will unlock it if the heirs get a court order, but that would only be worthwhile if there are important photos, say, on the machine.
    Not having Apple products myself but the wife has an iPad that is registered to youngest who bought it for her - BUT what would be the response from Apple if someone died and ledt ALL their personal effects to their partner/son/daughter - would they still refuse to assist?
    All my electronics are listed together with passwords etc
  • prowla
    GDB2222 said:
    I found an apple tracker in our local park. When I checked it with NFC, it gave me a phone number to ring, and we eventually returned it. It had been attached to their dog. They still had the dog, and they were pleased to get the tracker back.

With your ipad, it may have belonged to someone who died, say. The heirs didn't have the passcode. They didn't have the receipt, etc, so they couldn't get Apple to unlock it**. It was an old ipad, and they gave it away. They haven't set a return telephone number, because they don't want it back. It ended up in a car boot sale, where somebody optimistic paid £5 too much for it! :)

GDB2222 said:

Not having Apple products myself but the wife has an iPad that is registered to youngest who bought it for her - BUT what would be the response from Apple if someone died and ledt ALL their personal effects to their partner/son/daughter - would they still refuse to assist?
    Yep - I don't know its back story.
    TBH, I just wanted it to run one app (for my home lights), so it was no biggie.
    My gripe with Apple is that they have put a mechanism in place but don't have a structure to support it; some might say that it's a cynical ploy to reduce used sales.
    The problem with being an optimist is that you are always going to be disappointed!

• outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    prowla said:
    GDB2222 said:

GDB2222 said:

My gripe with Apple is that they have put a mechanism in place but don't have a structure to support it; some might say that it's a cynical ploy to reduce used sales.
    The problem with being an optimist is that you are always going to be disappointed!

You mean that there are actually some people who wouldn't say that??

• prowla
    outtatune said:
    prowla said:
    GDB2222 said:

GDB2222 said:

You mean that there are actually some people who wouldn't say that??

Haha - I think you've hit the nail on the head there!
    I think, after years of them being my automatic choice, Apple are now relegated from my buying plans.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback