Charity savings account

Options
Hi, I'm the Treasurer for my local scout troop, 30th Glasgow Scout Group.  We are raising money for a minibus and we have managed to raise just over £10k so far.  We still have another £10k to raise but in the meantime I want to put this money in a high interest account to earn some interest.  The money is currently in our main treasurers account with no interest being paid on it.  The groups current bank have offered me a high interest account with a rate of 2% and a 30 days notice period to withdraw funds.  Given current interest rates I'm hoping someone can point me to other charity high interest accounts with better rates available?

I had a look at the guide on the site but it referred to business and personal accounts nothing specified for charities.  When I have enquired about business accounts I have been advised as a charity we are not eligible for these.  We are a registered charity and submit our accounts to Scotlands charity body OSCR every year.  

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.  

Angela

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • sibby_cash
    sibby_cash Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, I'm the Treasurer for my local scout troop, 30th Glasgow Scout Group.  We are raising money for a minibus and we have managed to raise just over £10k so far.  We still have another £10k to raise but in the meantime I want to put this money in a high interest account to earn some interest.  The money is currently in our main treasurers account with no interest being paid on it.  The groups current bank have offered me a high interest account with a rate of 2% and a 30 days notice period to withdraw funds.  Given current interest rates I'm hoping someone can point me to other charity high interest accounts with better rates available?

I had a look at the guide on the site but it referred to business and personal accounts nothing specified for charities.  When I have enquired about business accounts I have been advised as a charity we are not eligible for these.  We are a registered charity and submit our accounts to Scotlands charity body OSCR every year.  

Angela
    Sadly the rates available to charities are a lot lower than for private individuals. Many of the banks won’t deal with unincorporated charities at all. The only vaguely competitive rates I have found are Skipton Community Saver Account for instant access 3.2% and United Trust Bank for a 40 day notice account 3%. 
    The account opening process is tedious and involves providing a lot of paperwork. Best of luck with that and with the fundraising. 
  • valiant24
    valiant24 Posts: 384 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Angela
    We're getting around 2.8% at Nationwide.
  • Joycefam11
    Options
    Thanks for the help, I'll present the options at our next trustee meeting but I think the Skipton one looks like the best option.  We may have to jump through some hoops to set it up but it will be worth it to make a bit of extra cash.

Thanks again :)
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 August 2023 at 2:46PM
    Options
    The Charities Aid Foundation has set up a platform managed by Flagstone that lets you access over 90 products, these being the best. They have £400m AUM. (£150k minimum so not appropriate for the OP.)
    I was on the phone to CAF this morning and found out that Flagstone has a 3 month fixed term through HSBC paying 4.95%. The charity I work for banks with HSBC (business banking) and I wanted to know if HSBC offers this rate direct; I phone HSBC who explained their money market rates change daily so they are not published but they read them to me and I was surprised by how high they are:
    1 month, 4.67%
    2 months, 4.78%
    3 months, 4.88%
    6 months, 5.17%.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills