🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Paying for soda water?!

Options
2»

Comments

• misscomickat
    Options
    Are you from Wolves magenta, I am too!
  • Badger_Lady
    Options
    My local pub (sorry, my old local before I moved) did it for free but it might just be cos I knew the landlord.

The Beefeater down the road charges 25p.

The posh pub in town charges 50p.

The skanky Inn on the main road charges £1.

When I ran a pub, we did it for free.

Varies, I'm afraid! And nothing comes cheap in a hotel bar :-(
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Options
    Any place I’ve ever been to has charged for soda water. It was good of the barman to pour it away: I’d be very ticked off if someone ordered a drink from me and then balked at a nominal £1 charge
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Everywhere I've ever been charges for soda water. I would've been piseed off if I had served you too!
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • marty1888
    Options
    Last night it was my work night out at a hotel.

I went to the bar and ordered a white wine, and a small glass of soda water. I often order that when I go out, to keep me from drinking too much and so I can drink the soda water when I am thirsty, and actually appreciate the wine.

The small glass of wine came to £3.85 (ouch), and then the barman added on another £1 for the soda water!!! I asked him why he had charged me for it, and he said "we have to."

I've had soda water in loads and loads of bars and restaurants all over the country, and have never ever been charged. It is not as though it costs the venue any money to produce!

I told the barman I didn't want it, and he had to pour it away.

Just wondered if anyone knows other places that charge for soda water? I thought it was the absolute norm that it was free! Sometimes I have it with lime and then, fair enough, I am charged for the lime.

The £1 is a bit excessive for a glass of soda water but hey you were in a hotel where prices tend to be inflated anyway.

Its not unreasonable though to expect a small charge for soda water as the Hotel would actually be losing money by giving it to you for nothing.
    Now if they were to charge you for tap water that would be a different story!
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Given that a 50p bottle of beer from Tesco costs £1.50 - £2.00 in a bar, £1 for a 'zero' cost product seems about right to me!
  • bestyman
    bestyman Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rent, rates , heating , lighting, staff wages etc are constant costs to the bar regardless of if you are drinking water or champagne.

OP, Do you give things away for free , if so what? and why do you expect businesses to give things away?
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • Infidel
    Infidel Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    When i've been to and worked in hotels bars and clubs absolutely everything has had to be paid for with the only exception being tap water (where you are often paid back with a dirty look from the bar-person :rolleyes:)
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport