suit alteration

Options
i have bought a suit in BOSS store they have altered jacket and it is terrible job i have left it with them to try and fix, what are my rights if i go back and am not happy?

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They have to do a professional job of altering the jacket, and you would certainly be entitled to the cost of the alteration. But they will have essentially ruined that jacket, if they can't get it right, and you clearly you would want your money back. I think you should be eligible for a refund under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 if the suit doesn't fit properly after the alteration, but I can be sure on what basis. 

Do you have home insurance? If so, do you have legal expenses cover? If you do, call the legal helpline and they will be able to confirm that basis that you would be entitled to a full refund. 

I would suggest that you give them a fair judgment as to whether the suit is acceptable. Perhaps take someone with you, and try to get photographs of the jacket if you don't think it fits well enough. Be careful about accepting something that you are not happy about. It would be better to walk out and leave the jacket with them, than go home with something you are going to regret accepting. Perhaps take a moment out of earshot and discuss it with the person you have taken with you.  

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have bought a suit in BOSS store they have altered jacket and it is terrible job i have left it with them to try and fix, what are my rights if i go back and am not happy?
    In what way is it a terrible job?

I assume this is a new suit in a BOSS store, and the in-store stylist pinned the jacket and then it was altered by the tailor attached to the store.
    If that is the case, I would expect BOSS to either do the work again or to start afresh from a new jacket.

In my experience, BOSS customer service has always been second-to-none so I would expect that BOSS will find a way to make amends without you needing to do more than ask and express disappointment.  Has the store assistant accepted that the tailoring is not to the required standard?
  • Christine24
    Christine24 Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes bought in Boss store for my wedding, store tailor has altered and one side is different to the other and stitching all puckered,  i expressed how unhappy i was and they made lots of excuses saying material was not good to alter, but they sold me this and advised on alterations? Yes they have kept it to alter again and i go back this week to try it on again,  but i want to know where i stand before i go back if this is still not acceptable. Should i not take it from store. Should i ring customer service before i go back and ask what my options will be if this is not done correctly?  
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    It is odd that you say "one side is different to the other".

I am, of course, imagining the item and how the seams work. 
    However, I suspect this is a case of an error in the way the garment was pinned for alteration rather than the tailor.

I have purchased two suits in the past year from BOSS and my wife had a dress plus over-jacket.
    The suit and over-jacket had a seam down the centre of the back, so needed pinning down the centre back to just "pull in" the shape / sides to fit perfectly.
    The dress had two side seams, so both sides needed to be pinned so the "pull in" was equal from each side.

It sounds as though the product you have is side-seamed, but the store assistant made the adjustments all down one side (rather than half on each side).  The tailor then simply followed the pinning  that had been done in store.  The result is a garment that now sits in an unbalanced way.
    Is that what has happened?

It is kind or irrelevant, but may help you to get the correct fit if they have to re-measure or start all over with a new garment.
    The remedy depends on the cause:
     - If the garment / material was not suitable to be altered, then you should be given a refund or an off-the-peg garment (if it fits well enough) to replace the one that has been incorrectly altered.  In this case, the adjustment should never have been offered.
     - If the garment has been poorly adjusted because of the poor way it was pinned, then the store should give you a new garment starting point and re-pin (ask for the senior stylist) and get that tailored.
     - If the garment was correctly pinned, then the store should start afresh but with a different tailor doing the actual work.
     - If the store cannot do any of these, they should refund you.

Bluntly, you don't shop at a premium store to end up with a garment that could be from any budget chain.

Out of interest, did you shop in a small local store or a large regional flagship?
    I know what I can buy and from the local stores and I know what really warrants travelling to the Regent Street store for the full premium service.  I suspect the similar variance in level of service applies between small and major stores across the country.
    I've also learned which products from BOSS are great and flatter and which products from BOSS are just not the right thing for me.  Buy what is great and flatters, not the name.

Hope that helps.
  • Christine24
    Options
    Thanks so much for response, this is at Large Flagship store, altered with them, altered at shoulders 
    top of one side looks like there is still a coat hanger in it is the only way i can describe it, stiching is gaththered and shoulder sticks up. I don't usually buy suits but as i say this is for my wedding and i went with the advice that was given, i have never bought from Boss before and did not feel they were forthcoming with my options, 

• Grumpy_chap
    Options
    If both sides were altered at the shoulders, then it is plausible that the side that is over-prominent can be altered again to make it right.  That would be the best outcome I'd imagine, for all concerned.
    Is the design one that should have shoulder pads - could it be as simple as the shoulder pads incorrectly positioned?
    I hope you get a positive outcome and good service to resolve this.  As I said, in my experience, BOSS will fall over themselves to achieve customer satisfaction.
  • Christine24
    Options
    This is 2nd attempt to put this right, i just want to know what i am entitled to if this is not 100% correct.Am i within my right to get refund, 
    Should i refuse to take suit?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    This is 2nd attempt to put this right, i just want to know what i am entitled to if this is not 100% correct.Am i within my right to get refund, 
    Should i refuse to take suit?
    Yes, if it's not correct, refuse:
    tacpot12 said:
    I would suggest that you give them a fair judgment as to whether the suit is acceptable. Perhaps take someone with you, and try to get photographs of the jacket if you don't think it fits well enough. Be careful about accepting something that you are not happy about. It would be better to walk out and leave the jacket with them, than go home with something you are going to regret accepting. 

You don't want to walk out of the store with the jacket not fitting correctly as they may deem that as acceptance.

It's an odd situation, so I am not exactly sure under what part of consumer rights this all falls.
    Hopefully, you won't need to know as (best case) the jacket is great when you next go back or (less good), the store accept it is not correct and simply refund / start all over again from a new garment and re-pin and different tailor.
  • Christine24
    Options
    Thanks for all advice
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business