Sounds a bit Fawlty Towers/Only Fools & horses......

Options
OK I will cut to the chase, paid a local electrician to install outside lights and hang a relatively heavy chandelier above a staircase 10months ago. Total cost £450. I had seen the recommendations for his work and company. The chandelier is about £600 new, I managed to buy it at a discount. As if this morning the chandelier has dropped onto the middle staircase from he plaster ceiling. Chandelier is beyond repair, thankfully no one was underneath it. I’ve contacted the electrician to see what he has to say. I’ve taken photos of the damage, thankfully I still have photos of the before and fitted chandelier relating to the ceiling as these were requested to provide me with a quote for the initial work. I’d saved long and hard to have this work done, only being able to get it done the month I paid my mortgage off. I’m disappointed. What should my next steps be? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    L9XSS said:
    OK I will cut to the chase, paid a local electrician to install outside lights and hang a relatively heavy chandelier above a staircase 10months ago. Total cost £450. I had seen the recommendations for his work and company. The chandelier is about £600 new, I managed to buy it at a discount. As if this morning the chandelier has dropped onto the middle staircase from he plaster ceiling. Chandelier is beyond repair, thankfully no one was underneath it. I’ve contacted the electrician to see what he has to say. I’ve taken photos of the damage, thankfully I still have photos of the before and fitted chandelier relating to the ceiling as these were requested to provide me with a quote for the initial work. I’d saved long and hard to have this work done, only being able to get it done the month I paid my mortgage off. I’m disappointed. What should my next steps be? Any advice would be gratefully received.
    At this stage, await the electrician's response.  After 10 months the onus is on you to show that poor workmanship was the cause of it falling.  Assuming you've had no other work done in that area (or above it) that could have disturbed it, then it sounds like it wasn't properly secured and has just slowly detached over time.  Take photos of the fittings (screws, bolts, plugs, etc) and the area it was secured to.  A heavy light fitting would normally require screwing into a joist, or from a bracket secured to a joist or joists, with appropriate screws or bolts.  Do you happen to have retained the installation instructions?

A long shot, but was it hung underneath a water tank or pipework?  Any chance there's been a leak that's softened the fixings?

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 June 2023 at 8:35AM
    Options
    Can we take it, that it was fitted into the joists & they are in a sound condition.
    That the chandelier came with instructions as to just what type fittings were to be used, what it should be mounted to?

Other than that. One for your home insurance to deal with.
    Life in the slow lane
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is an electrician qualified to assess how a heavy chandelier should be hung or is he qualified to do electrical work and fitted the chandelier as the customer requested?
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,655 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 June 2023 at 9:48AM
    Options
     After 10 months the onus is on you to show that poor workmanship was the cause of it falling.  

We have the obvious 6 month timeline for burden of proof with regards to goods but services are under a different part of the CRA and (unless missing it) I can see any reference to burden of proof. 

That's not to suggest it wouldn't be a good thing to have to support your case but from the CRA I can't see anything that states it either way for services :) 

OP, assuming the service wasn't performed with reasonable care and skill, you'd be looking at a repeat performance for the fitting and then a price reduction if not performed (or not possible) and IMO that price reduction should be close to the full price of fitting.

Regarding the Chandelier you would be seeking damages for it's cost, you aren't entitled to betterment so perhaps a small deduction for the 10 months it was hanging (I would expect a Chandelier to have a long life so this wouldn't be much of a deduction IMO). 

Best thing to do is wait and hear back, if the offer is replace and refit then that's great, if it isn't pop back for more advice :) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback