Optiplex GX620

GDB2222
GDB2222 Posts: 24,619 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I am wondering what to do with a very old GX620 desktop PC? It has 1gb of Ram and a Pentium processor running at 3.2ghz. 

It currently runs XP pro, but I don’t want to connect it to the Internet unless I can put a modern, properly supported, OS on it. Any suggestions for an OS that will run in 1gb of ram, please?
No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you want to connect it to the internet then I assume you'd want to use a web browser - regardless of being able to put a lightweight OS on the machine, it isn't capable of powering a modern browser and being able to render modern web pages efficiently.

It will be painfully slow, especially with original HDD and only 1GB RAM and will be running at near maximum  CPU so you need to consider the fact that it will be burning upwards of 150 watts to do very little of use. 

Modern machines can do 10-50 times more for 15 watts or less so it could be costly to run as well.

I'm not saying don't try, just be aware that the time and effort might not pay off. If you need another PC and can't afford a £150 2nd hand one then maybe it will be useful.

Recycle or get maybe £10 - £20 on ebay for it is my advice.
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks. I think those are the two options, ie put a light version of linux on it, or recycle it. 

It's not been used for years, and I keep it as a spare, but it has not been needed. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback