MSE Poll: How much credit card debt do you have?

MSE_Kit
MSE_Kit MSE Staff Posts: 74
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
MSE Staff
Poll started 30 May 2023

The cost of living crisis has resulted in many taking on extra credit card debt – in some cases just to cover basic necessities. So this week, we want to know how much credit card debt you have in total and whether this has increased over the past 12 months.

Click here to vote in the poll.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Kernowshep
    Kernowshep Forumite Posts: 14
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    +1

Mine's also increased because I'm snoozing more (I could pay it off now if I wanted to).
  • lakesider52
    lakesider52 Forumite Posts: 34
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    molerat said:
    Another flawed poll.  There should be a £0 pay it off each month as there is a big difference between that and £0 to £5000.

Precisely Molerat. I put as much expenditure as possible on my credit card as I receive points which can be converted to vouchers/airline miles/charity donations and then pay off the balance in full each month. Surely this is a responsible way to manage a credit card but I do notice that it can have an effect on credit scoring with Experian etc. Broken system!
  • TimSynths
    TimSynths Forumite Posts: 604
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    £82.27, bought some petrol this morning, use the Barclaycard for cashback and will clear in full once the statement comes in, have been doing this now for two years, never carry a balance over anymore and once a year (July) I get a nice free Chinese takeaway with my cashback.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Forumite Posts: 18,803
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    edited 31 May at 9:05AM
    No option for I don't have a credit card.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • ginger_chocolate
    ginger_chocolate Forumite Posts: 284
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Forumite
    molerat said:
    Another flawed poll.  There should be a £0 pay it off each month as there is a big difference between that and £0 to £5000.
    I thought that too. More people use a credit card for convenience/perks/protection than to spend money they don't have.

(For years I didn't understand this - I had the fear of God put into me about credit cards when I was young, was told anyone who had a "debt card" was an irresponsible idiot, just *having* one basically meant you were in horrible debt etc. Turns out that, if anything, I actually manage my spending better now I have a credit card.)
  • newportpaul
    newportpaul Forumite Posts: 3
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post
    Agree with all the above. Maybe you should check with a test group first before creating polls to find any flaws.
    This one looks like you had the answer you wanted and created a poll to try to justify it.
    I also have taken advantage of an interest-free credit card transfer for a large purchase, so my 'debt' has substantially increased from last year but deliberately and not due to the so-called 'cost of living crisis'. Savings have grown or remained untouched..
  • BobbinAlong
    BobbinAlong Forumite Posts: 193
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Agree with both the "Don't have credit card" and "Pay it off in full monthly" options. I'm the latter and use it everywhere to get one bill per month and Tesco Clubcard points for channel tunnel crossings.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Forumite Posts: 7,264
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    molerat said:
    I totally agree with this, I pay for almost everything on card because of cashback and where relevant S75 protection but I clear the bill in full every month.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.1K Life & Family
  • 244.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback