Council tax rebanding - help understanding Gov.uk guidance

Options
Hello
I am the landlord of a property that I believe should be in a different council tax band.  I am going to appeal both as landlord but also on behalf of my tenant.  However I am a little confused by what evidence is acceptable.  I have found very similar properties on the same street on 2 different lower council tax bands yet it appears I cannot provide them as evidence.  The following is on the Gov.uk website:

Examples of evidence that the VOA won’t accept are:

• properties in the same street in different bands, unless those properties are identical
The properties are all Edwardian semi-detached properties split into flats, one of them is identical but not the others.  However they all have either A or B tax bands.  Therefore I am confused, can I provide evidence of properties on different bands or should I just focus on the ones that are in the lowest band?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You cannot appeal the band as a landlord if the property is tenanted nor "on behalf of the tenant". Only the tenant can appeal but you can act as their agent if they authorise you to do so.

I think you will find the VOA will accept evidence of properties that are very similar in age, size and type rather than exactly identical if these are in a lower band.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback