Entitlement help

I was widowed in 2016,I was 43 years of age.Until this day I have never had any financial help from any government agency.Is there anything I am entitled to or should have claimed.I am self employed,but apparently I am not entitled to any help with anything because I receive a pension from late husbands employer,which in reality is less than an average household monthly income.I just find it unfair that my husband worked from the age of 16 until 3 months before he died at the age of 48,paid tax and NI all those years and I have been left in the cold.I am just looking for advice and guidance if available. Thanks

Comments

• Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 863 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Bereavement support payment ? Not sure if you can still claim after so long though?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    BSP was introduced in 2017. Preceded by Bereavement Payment. Fairly sure it will be too late to claim now.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You had to be aged 45 or older to receive Bereavement Allowance.

As you were 43 then you were not eligible 
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The tax and NI he paid were his contribution to the cost of running the country, and for his pension. If you want a state pension for yourself, you have to make the NI contributions yourself. I don't think this is unfair. 

I think you are in quite a good position considering you are only 43 but already have an income you don't have to work for.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Tacpot12,an income I don't have to work for,I had to become a widow to receive that income,not highly recommended. I am only looking for a bit of assistance.I find it unfair that there is an age put on when you become a widow for you to be eligible for any help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback