We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SAGA Magazine lifetime subscription - compulsory shift to digital format

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Jaseur said:
    I have been writing to Saga saying they have broken our contract. When I signed up there was no such thing as a digital version. Has a class action been considered
    What outcome would you look for?  A return of a tiny percentage of what you paid some time ago, or force them to send you what would almost certainly be an advert-filled pamphlet for the rest of your life?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jaseur said:
    I have been writing to Saga saying they have broken our contract. When I signed up there was no such thing as a digital version. Has a class action been considered
    This comes up from time to time on here, but without anyone actually being prepared to do anything about it:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80094547/#Comment_80094547

https://www.change.org/p/saga-honour-our-contract-for-monthly-delivery-of-your-magazine attracted about 1,500 signatures, but also doesn't really progress beyond outraged indignation.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jaseur said:
    It wouldn't have been considered for long simply because class actions don't exist in English law.
    You might have read about them in American legal thrillers such as those by John Grisham. Because many US states permit punitive damages they can be very profitable for US attorneys.

We do have the possibility of group actions here where a number of affected claimants pool their resources to bring a case, which is not the same. There are legal firms in UK who will bring a group litigation claim for you if you can afford them, such as Enablelaw  

https://www.enablelaw.com/
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I guess if one of the co's that do the likes of diesel claims. Feel there would be enough interest & profit they might take it on. But odds on that are very slim.
    Life in the slow lane
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I guess if one of the co's that do the likes of diesel claims. Feel there would be enough interest & profit they might take it on. But odds on that are very slim.
    Hard to see where any profit would come from this - scenarios like PPI and diesel claims entailed payouts of substantial sums from those deemed liable, from which meaningful commission could be recovered by ambulance-chasers, but there are no significant sums of money involved here, just a point of principle - based on the relatively small subscriptions paid back in the distant past, those affected would probably need to pay at least the same again in order to participate in legal action, so any victory would be pyrrhic....
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Jaseur said:
    What outcome would you look for?  A return of a tiny percentage of what you paid some time ago, or force them to send you what would almost certainly be an advert-filled pamphlet for the rest of your life?
    since the magazine exists- indeed you can sign up for a subscription for it today and get it sent to you - then what I would want is for them to send me the magazine as promised
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Odds on all they would do is end print version. So it's lifetime has come to a end.
    Perhaps it is just pining for the fjords?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Olinda99 said:
    Jaseur said:
    since the magazine exists- indeed you can sign up for a subscription for it today and get it sent to you - then what I would want is for them to send me the magazine as promised
    ...and what they'll probably do is water down the magazine for everyone to cover the cost of satisfying their obligation to all those who want to enforce their contract until it becomes an advert-filled pamphlet.  Or they'll go entirely online for everyone so there is no physical magazine to send at all.

I can't see a "win" here, no matter how frustrating it is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure