Wondering what rights I have with this employer who caused me depression

After a 4-round, plus homework interview process - I got a job with a major FinTech company.
Odds are, 6 out of 10 of you are with them at this moment.

However, every single encounter I had with that corporation was a crazy incident, mixture of inaptitude and negligence. 
Dare I say, some malevolence was involved...

I'll give you a few examples and let you know there are at least 12 like those (or even worse). I stopped counting because it affects my mental health (more on this later):

1. When started, I was given a "secured laptop" to be able to do my work. However, that laptop didn't work AT ALL and I was dealing with their IT "support" for 3 weeks... All this time, I can only use Teams on my phone to talk to colleagues.
Also during this time, managers would keep calling me and asking me why I am not delivering work. They keep asking me to push harder to fix my laptop, when my laptop is with IT and it's not in my hands and I AM pushing them - although I shouldn't be because every reasonable person knows a programmer can't program on paper (well not since the 70's)

2. Once I got my laptop, I got a "reminder" that a document has been sent to me, which expires 4 days from now and if I don't sign it, I will be fired (I am on probation so they can cut me loose any moment)... I clicked on the link to sign that document and the link is broken!
I call to my boss immediately and he says it worked fine for him... He failed to mention that when HE did it, it was 4 years ago... I keep pushing the authors of the document, full of wrong emails and people saying they'll come back to me... In the end, I missed signing the stupid document and got managers again calling me and asking why am I causing so much trouble and can't sign a simple document...

3. My manager invited me to a meeting in London. I set up all my family affairs, bought expensive train tickets, travelled 2 hours each way...
The guy didn't come!
He didn't even tell security I am coming (he told me explicitly that my access card will be waiting for me in security)!
He shut down his phone, doesn't pick up calls from me!

So, after two hours drinking cold water in the lobby, security kicked me out.
I called HIS manager and told him what's going on and I need someone to let me in.
Then, MY manager suddenly remembers they have a phone and call me and SHOUT at me about me ratting him out to his boss. I had to ask him twice to stop shouting or I will hang up... I had to hang up twice before he agreed to conduct a reasonable conversation.

So, 3 months of incidents like the above and I notice that I haven't smiled for weeks.
I look back and recall that I haven't slept right for weeks.
I stopped taking care of myself, stopped doing anything that I like.
Nothing that is good feels good to me.

Worse: My heart is racing all the time, I feel pressure in my chest, dry mouth, blurred vision, can't say quite what I want to say, distracted, angry at my family...
All my thoughts were how the worst thing is going to happen, always...

I went to a doctor and they sent me to a psychologist. The psychologist asked a psychiatrist to be involved and prescribe me with two medications for my mental health.
My psychologist, a 70-year old doctor of clinical psychology is completely convinced that 3 months of these kind of incidents and my goodwill to stay the course and absorb the bad things that keep happening has eventually eroded my resilience and caused me mental disease.

My psychologist wrote me a 5 day fit note and asked me to consider alternative employment.

OK but do I deserve something from them for what they've done?
I have written proof for most of their utter incompetence and some proof of them lying to me.
I am still within my probation period (it's 6 months and I am on third month working for them)

Even something like a paid 14 day sick leave would be a result.
I will be fighting with my depression much longer than that.

I notice, when I interview for new jobs, I am now very anxious, I feel traumatized by "bosses" and fear my future so much that I struggle to work for it.

PS: I am fully expecting someone with depression to come and say "how dare you abuse your diagnosis, only I have real depression and you don't have depression and shouldn't be seeking your rights and you don't deserve help, only I do" - I have been told something like this (in other words) 
- Comments like this will be ignored

Comments

• YBR
    YBR Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Focus on finding a better job for you, it really is a poor use of your limited mental energy to launch a fight for compensation.

When you leave, you might tell them why you've left (provided it won't burn bridges across your industry).
    You can't change what has happened, and you can't change their culture. Make a difference for your health in the ways you can.

• DraxDomax
    DraxDomax Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the above ideas.
    Yes, I know that's the "clever" thing to do.

But I have such an emotional need to get my pound of flesh. 
    It's just incredible how badly they let themselves go and I am powerless throughout it all.

Especially they send corporate-wide emails every day about how much they care and all sorts of "wellbeing" initiatives and "if you see something wrong, tell your manager".

I am tempted to send a letter to the CEO - surely someone cares that there's an office in central London where nothing gets done?

The company I am talking about - they are having their best year yet, due to inflation - another reason why they don't care about how rotten they are on the inside.
  • DraxDomax
    On one occassion, I told my partner "I have NO idea how anyone manages to get anything done in this company!"

So far, we've lost two MAJOR clients (11-digits worth of business!), one of them is suing us - so I have NOT seen how anything gets done...
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    DraxDomax said:
    On one occassion, I told my partner "I have NO idea how anyone manages to get anything done in this company!"

So far, we've lost two MAJOR clients (11-digits worth of business!), one of them is suing us - so I have NOT seen how anything gets done...
    Sounds like they're facing the consequences on a much bigger scale than your "pound of flesh". 

I realise it might take you time to process your experiences, and to "grieve" for the loss of the hopes you had for this role - if you see what I mean. Try to put your desire for recompense on the shelf at least until you have started your new employment. You might then find your emotions are less raw and pressing. Good luck in moving on to something better.
  • DraxDomax
    yeah that makes sense.
    I guess I got confused by reading about "Grievance Procedure" and hoping I might get some benefit out of it.
    Even if I personally get nothing but someone up there is "motivated" to improve, that would make it feel like my suffering hasn't been in vain.

It's real damage, it's my livelihood and my sensitivity as a human who has his dignity.
    Not to mention I gave up other offers who couldn't have possibly turned as bad.
    I have 20 years of experience, nowhere is perfect but I've never seen anything like this.
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    DraxDomax said:
    yeah that makes sense.
    I guess I got confused by reading about "Grievance Procedure" and hoping I might get some benefit out of it.
    Even if I personally get nothing but someone up there is "motivated" to improve, that would make it feel like my suffering hasn't been in vain.

It's real damage, it's my livelihood and my sensitivity as a human who has his dignity.
    Not to mention I gave up other offers who couldn't have possibly turned as bad.
    I have 20 years of experience, nowhere is perfect but I've never seen anything like this.
    I have been in a similar situation to yourself, where I spiralled into a dark depression whilst working for a company that promised everything but didn't deliver. Nearly lost my partner because of the person I became.

My advice is get out now & find a role that will enable you to return to the best form of you.
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Speaking as someone who did have mental health issues at a previous employer:

It’s natural to want some sort of “revenge” when in a situation like this. It’s not about the money, it’s about what you think is right and at least to some extent to try to avoid this happening to others. However as others have said the best thing to do when in a similar situation is to try to find alternative employment and put the past behind you. It takes time of course, but assuming you are fit enough to work you’ll quickly find that you’re in a much better headspace once you find employment that’s right for you. It takes time to get over feeling wronged, though trust me, it’ll take a lot more time to get over it if you make a claim against your employer. 

Mental health is still a badly understood subject. Who’s to say that your employer triggered / caused your mental health issues? Proving it in court will be a painful and ultimately (for you) fruitless exercise. 
  • SadieO
    SadieO Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As others have said, focus on getting a new job. Sadly you are not going to win against a big company. Although the past three months have been awful for you, I am not minimising that, it's not a great deal of time in the grand scheme of things so hopefully you can get over this once you get out of this toxic environment and start putting it behind you. Can you go back to the doctor to see if you can be signed off for longer? If your doctor feels this workplace is damaging your health then 5 days is not going to do much. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback