Facebook ads competitions

Options
You may be aware of this already, but it seems (well to me anyway) that entering some prize draw/newsletter competitions that have come up as ads on Facebook has made the FB ad algorithm (or whatever digital black magic they use to advertise to you!) give me lots of comps rather than many other ads. It asked if I wanted more ads like this, I selected yes and its nearly all links to surveys/newsletter sign up draw comps now, no like or friend tagging required for most.

I don't usually do FB comps as don't want to tag friends on my personal profile and can't be bothered to set up another FB profile like I have for twitter or IG, but I've set it so when I do these ad comps it uses my comping email address rather than the one associated with my personal profile and as there is no liking/tagging required just newsletter sign ups then I'm assuming doesn't invalidate any entry. 

Thought I'd share, as if we have to have ads on FB then its better they are useful competitions  :smile: 

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 May 2023 at 10:58AM
    Options
    Some FB ads are not to be trusted, I still see some where Martin Lewis (despite the action by him) is supposedly promoting particular schemes (bitcoin etc). Every so often I go through the ads and select not to be shown them again as irrelevant and block the advertiser. Have never clicked on any of them to view them as the largely unregulated ads can be a cheap way for scammers to promote something and/or target particular groups of people.
  • EnglishWelshie
    EnglishWelshie Posts: 3,275 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't get any FB ads on my pc as I use the FP Purity extension to block them and lots of other parts of FB that I don't like seeing. Worth a look if using a pc and don't like all the rubbish FB force on us.

Link here if anyone wants to look https://www.fbpurity.com/
  • Ms_Dee
    Ms_Dee Posts: 7,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mjm3346 said:
    Some FB ads are not to be trusted, I still see some where Martin Lewis (despite the action by him) is supposedly promoting particular schemes (bitcoin etc). Every so often I go through the ads and select not to be shown them again as irrelevant and block the advertiser. Have never clicked on any of them to view them as the largely unregulated ads can be a cheap way for scammers to promote something and/or target particular groups of people.
    Yes but there are also genuine people and businesses that pay to advertise their businesses, so it makes me sad as I know friends that pay to advertise and other companies I love but I don't tend to trust most Facebook adverts and I know there are many like me too. Which is sad as I see some but sadly would avoid things I like the look of because it is an advert, yet some genuine businesses have paid for me to see that and I am their target audience. 😔 
    Thank you to everyone who posts competitions and good luck to everyone who enters.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback