Fed up of dmp

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What are the issues with the DMP that are making you feel fed up? Are you using your increased income to save ready to be in a position to offer F&F's at some stage to shorten it? If so then the 42 months could potentially  be shortened, which should help to provide some light at the end of the tunnel! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • PM22
    PM22 Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I’m just fed up generally. It will be Dec 2028 before my last default falls off. It will be Dec 2026 before dmp is paid off. That’s a long time with no access to credit. I’m trying to do my flat up on the spare money I have as it’s a total dump. I just find it all very demoralising that’s all. I just feel a bit sorry for myself that’s all. But I know I just have to keep making those monthly payments and chipping away at it and one day it will all be over. I will never, ever get back into this situation again for as long as I live!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From one who had more debt than that and whose dmp lasted far longer… beware of wanting more credit.

if you don’t want to end up back in the same situation then always beware of credit.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • PM22
    Options
    Is there such a thing as a £20 tin of paint to paint a whole room?!? Certainly the paint I bought for my hallway last month was more like £38 a tin and I bought 3 and my son even paid for one! I didn’t realise there was such a thing!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,000 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    PM22 said:
    Is there such a thing as a £20 tin of paint to paint a whole room?!? Certainly the paint I bought for my hallway last month was more like £38 a tin and I bought 3 and my son even paid for one! I didn’t realise there was such a thing!
    Lol, have  to agree, paint is more expensive than you think these days, the cheap stuff is like water, and you have to use 3/4 coats, and it still doesn't cover well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you looked on here for paint?

Emulsion Paint | Wall & Ceiling Paint | wilko.com
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • PM22
    Options
    I bought tins twice as big for £38 so it’s done now
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    Options
    Have you looked at making CCA requests and unaffordable lending compliants? I managed to get £11,000 of credit card debt cleared plus a £5000 refund from Nationwide by making an unaffordable lending complaint. It took two years but was well worth it. I've also stopped paying a £7000 debt with PRA because they couldn't produce the CCA. Overall that's improved things hugely for me.

I found my DMP very restrictive at first, but after a year or so I had got used to it and was making far better use of my money. Instead of constantly using credit cards when I fancied a takeaway I was spending time cooking things I'd found on bbcgood.com and having the money to be able to go out and buy a decent pair of shoes. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,457 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Might be stating the obvious but have you tried Freegle or similar sites to get free stuff for the renovations?  Or do you have some way to barter for stuff??  I know someone who cuts hair and uses that to get help from various tradespeople.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback