🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

reducing debt by balance transfer any help?

Options
Hi, I dont know much about credit cards and balance transfers, I have had a look through the forum and would like somebody to check if this is right-
:confused:

If one card had a balance on in of say 2k, and I get another credit card with a 0% intrerest on Balance transfers for a year on it,with £1000 limit, I can do a balance transfer of £1000 to the new card to reduce the balance by 1k, will this balance then not gain interest in the year? I have got a new MBNA card with 3 months 0% interest on purchases and 0% interest on Bt til dec 2008. would it be of benefit to do this to put the 1k on hold and give me a chance to pay the rest off? it does say theres a 3% handling fee (which I just read Martain said isnt true). If I have got the grasp of this, how do I go about it? I just got sent some blank cheque things from the card do I use these to transfer the balance or phone up? Sorry I really dont have a clue about credit cards! Its my OH's debt.
Cheers
November £10 a day challenge. Im starting early- 66p so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport