🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Contracted Out - Was The Impact On Our State Pensions Really Communicated Properly?

Options
GSP
GSP Posts: 887 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
As far as I remember being CO happened probably over 30 years ago when I was a much younger man in his late twenties (being younger was much less pension savvy). I maybe wrong but it was done to apparently give us more money in our payslip (unless I am getting confused with salary sacrifice)?

I’m not sure if we had a choice though, just what were the advantages of being contracted out? Was it something that benefitted the employer more than the employee?

It seems now who would be ‘contracted out’ if they had a choice? Is there something ‘a bit wrong’ with the whole concept and should it ever had been brought in?

Seems we just have to accept the ‘initiative’ and pay these extra years. Just who would have agreed with this at the time if they knew they had to make extra payments totalling thousands of pounds now?

Are we the ones at fault and having to pay for it now? Contracted out seems very murky to me.

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 May 2023 at 7:41PM
    Options
    one question - would you rather have a state pension of £15k a year (basic SP plus SERPS/S2P), or a combined state and company pension of £20+k a year?? That's what contracting out did for you.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    My COPE Estimate is £104.65 but my pension is £408.  I know what I prefer
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,986 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2023 at 8:28PM
    Options
    GSP said:
    As far as I remember being CO happened probably over 30 years ago when I was a much younger man in his late twenties (being younger was much less pension savvy). I maybe wrong but it was done to apparently give us more money in our payslip (unless I am getting confused with salary sacrifice)?

I’m not sure if we had a choice though, just what were the advantages of being contracted out? Was it something that benefitted the employer more than the employee?

It seems now who would be ‘contracted out’ if they had a choice? Is there something ‘a bit wrong’ with the whole concept and should it ever had been brought in?

Seems we just have to accept the ‘initiative’ and pay these extra years. Just who would have agreed with this at the time if they knew they had to make extra payments totalling thousands of pounds now?

Are we the ones at fault and having to pay for it now? Contracted out seems very murky to me.
    Hopefully everyone in a contracted out final salary scheme (which is what I suspect you were in), because they not only paid lower National Insurance, they will have a DB pension well in excess of the alternative: state pension only.

You don't have to make 'extra payments totalling thousands of pounds'; your choice if you wish to do so. You're still vastly better off by having a pension from a DB scheme which was contracted out.

You are also overlooking the fact that the state pension system was a very different animal 30 years ago...
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Similarly £85ish and £650ish - I really wish I had not contracted out.  I could have made myself so much worse off...
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ...ooohhh...I can feel another law suit coming on...perhaps we could tag on the back of the WASPI women??
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Did contracting out give us more money on our payslip, or did it release money we could contribute to our DB pensions?  In my 20s I definitely remember my understanding was that working in the public sector meant I wasn’t earning as much as my private sector peers, but it was a good pension scheme.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure