🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Self employed but draw civil service pension help

Options
Hello I am considering starting work self employed, I get 23k a pension currently, would I only pay National insurance on the self employed pay as my pension currently doesn’t have to, and at what rate is it ?

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    WHUFC123 said:
    Hello I am considering starting work self employed, I get 23k a pension currently, would I only pay National insurance on the self employed pay as my pension currently doesn’t have to, and at what rate is it ?
    How old are you?
  • WHUFC123
    WHUFC123 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    57 years old now
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,073 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2023 at 4:31PM
    Options
    Yes you will only pay NI, if required, on your SE income.  Depending on your profits you may not need to actually pay anything.
    Have you checked your state pension forecast ? The important bit in that respect
    For 2022/23 onwards, you pay Class 2 NIC if your profits are above the Lower Profits Limit (which is £12,570 in 2023/24 and was £11,908 in 2022/23). If your profits are below the Small Profits Threshold (£6,725 in 2022/23 and 2023/24) then you can choose to pay voluntary Class 2 NIC. If your profits from self-employment are between the Small Profits Threshold and the Lower Profits Limit then there is no Class 2 NIC to pay – instead you will be treated as making Class 2 NIC. This will mean you will be able to access entitlement to contributory benefits in the same way as if you had paid Class 2 NIC.

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

I retired and then started a small online business. But I had reached state pension age and did not have to continue to pay any NI contributions. Obviously, I do have to pay tax.

Your case is different as you have retired before state pension age and draw a pension.

I think your best bet will be to register as self-employed with HMRC - info in link here -

https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment/self-employed

Then you can ask HMRC any questions that are relevant but they will probably give you the information you need before you ask. (They did in my case, anyway). 

There's some really good info about NI here - https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/how-much-you-pay

I hope that's helpful. I have to admit that it seemed a bit overwhelming to me at first but it's quite straightforward. And you can always ask questions via the HMRC account if things aren't clear.

All the best with your self-employment. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,718 Forumite
    Options
    Craighoy said:
    Hi - interesting topic - I will be 63 very soon and plan to take early retirement in the about two months time. I currently work as a technical sales advisor for an IT manufacturer and some of clients and business partners/ resellers have asked if I would be available for some consultancy on a per day basis. 
    I hadn’t planned to do this - but a couple of days per month may be nice - earning, keeping my hand in and social.
    I will be drawing down on my pension to live off and paying the appropriate tax on this - trying to keep just under the 40% threshold at about £49k pa. gross.
    If I start doing some consultancy I assume I’d set up as Self Employed. I estimate it would be earning around £10k per year. 
    How does the NI and tax work in this situation? 
    Appreciate any advice 
    thx

The profit would be added to your other income and taxed accordingly (via a Self Assessment return)

If your only other income was £49k from a pension then a little bit of your self employment profit would be taxed at 20% and the rest at 40%.  This assumes you aren't Scottish resident for tax purposes.

On £10k profit ther would be no NI to pay.

https://www.gov.uk/self-employed-national-insurance-rates

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,731 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Craighoy said:
    Hi - interesting topic - I will be 63 very soon and plan to take early retirement in the about two months time. I currently work as a technical sales advisor for an IT manufacturer and some of clients and business partners/ resellers have asked if I would be available for some consultancy on a per day basis. 
    I hadn’t planned to do this - but a couple of days per month may be nice - earning, keeping my hand in and social.
    I will be drawing down on my pension to live off and paying the appropriate tax on this - trying to keep just under the 40% threshold at about £49k pa. gross.
    If I start doing some consultancy I assume I’d set up as Self Employed. I estimate it would be earning around £10k per year. 
    Appreciate any advice 
    thx

The profit would be added to your other income and taxed accordingly (via a Self Assessment return)

If your only other income was £49k from a pension then a little bit of your self employment profit would be taxed at 20% and the rest at 40%.  This assumes you aren't Scottish resident for tax purposes.

I think you've posted on the wrong thread!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Craighoy said:
    Appreciate any advice 
    thx

I don't think so, the recurring question seems to be about whether or not someone who doesn't have to pay NI on their EMPLOYED earnings has to pay them on SELF-employed earnings, and I think we have an answer here.  
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,731 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    Craighoy said:
    Appreciate any advice 
    thx

I don't think so, the recurring question seems to be about whether or not someone who doesn't have to pay NI on their EMPLOYED earnings has to pay them on SELF-employed earnings, and I think we have an answer here.  
    Definitely on the wrong thread

Should have been posted on

Started by Craighoy
    May 9, 2024

If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure