Plan 5 student loans - how will they apply to PGCE students?

Options
Hello,

My daughter is just finishing her undergraduate degree, so she is on a Plan 2 loan.

In September she will start a PGCE. My understanding is that PGCE loans are treated as undergrad rather than postgrad loans, so presumably her new loan will be added to her existing loan.

However I have just heard about Plan 5 and am confused about how this will apply to students like my daughter. Will her entire loan become a Plan 5 loan? Or because she started on Plan 2, will she continue on Plan 2? I don't see how it would be possible to have only part of the loan on Plan 5, seeing as you can only have one threshold.

Obviously this will have a dramatic bearing on her future repayments so I need to know how it works. I have tried to find the answer on-line - including reading the entire terms and conditions for 2023/24 - but I cannot find anything that deals with this specifically, even though there must be quite a lot of students who will be in the same position.

Does anybody have any information on this? It would be much appreciated.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,994 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2023 at 6:21PM
    Options
    It is clear in the guidelines here: https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/which-repayment-plan-you-are-on

PGCE starting after August 2023 will be plan 5.

The existing student loan will remain as a plan 2 loan.

So she will end up with two loans, one on plan 2 and one on plan 5. Her repayments are governed by the thresholds for each plan. So she will pay 9% of earnings over the lower threshold. 

Edit: plan 5 loans don't go into repayment until April 2026, so until that date all the repayments will go to the plan 2 loan. after that date the repayments will be split between the loans, but she still only has to make one repayment.

I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ihatebarclays_2
    Options
    silvercar, just realised I forgot to thank you for this, which was very remiss of me. Thank you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback