Chip connectivity

Options

Hi, I've just opened a Chip savings account and first of all set up my Lloyds debit card in the Chip app. This was done successfully. Then tried to connect from the Chip app to my Lloyds current account (the debit card previously set up is for this account) but I keep getting connectivity issues although I don't think the app even tries to connect to Lloyds. Does anyone else have trhe same issue? Not sure if it's relevant or not but my Lloyds account is a Club Lloyds current account. Sometimes the bin number on the debit card causes a problem but Club Lloyds has been around for ages now. I wonder if connecting to Lloyds to set up the linked account before setting up the debit card might have worked. I have not deposited any money in Chip as if I can't get the app to link correctly I will have no way of withdrawing ant money.

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,357 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 May 2023 at 4:59PM
    Options

The app should open a link to Truelayer in your web browser, where you can then click through to connect to your banking app (if installed and supported), otherwise to the online banking site for you to authorise the connection. Is it the first part (opening the Truelayer website page) that is not working?

• Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

If your card is registered, that should automatically have linked the current account the card belongs to. What does it say in your CHIP profile (bottom right) - if your Lloyds account shows, you should be good to go. Are you on the latest app version?

If you cannot get the deposit via Open Banking to work, there is now also an option to deposit by old-fashioned bank transfer from your linked bank. You could try a £1 or so deposit that way, and then a withdrawal from CHIP. All withdrawals are going via the card number into the linked account, and they are instant if everything works as intended.

If all this fails for you, I would re-install the CHIP app, and if it's still not working, it's clling on CHIP's help

• stevel53
    stevel53 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

as soon as I click on 'link your bank' and then 'continue' I get the 'we're having connectivity issues', it's almost as if Chip is not even trying to connect via Truelayer. That's why I thought it might not recognise the bin number in the debit card but it has 'added' the debit card successfully. I also have the Lloyds mobile app on my iPhone.

• stevel53
    stevel53 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I should add that I have a tick mark against 'add your debit card' but not on 'link your bank'.

• Band7
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

What mobile connection do you use? WiFi or mobile data? Who is your provider?

• Band7
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Ah, ok. I think it's best if you ask CHIP to look into this for you

• RJames
    RJames Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the above, I was having similar issues though I could link bank if I wanted to. I chose add debit card - what considerations should I have when deciding to link bank or add debit card?
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RJames said:
    Thank you for the above, I was having similar issues though I could link bank if I wanted to. I chose add debit card - what considerations should I have when deciding to link bank or add debit card?
    Link bank. Debit card deposits take 3 days to clear, open banking transfers are instant.
  • AndyW79
    AndyW79 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried updating everything on your phone and rebooting it ?
  • SickGroove
    SickGroove Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What are the maximum daily transfer limits for depositing / withdrawing money using Chip open banking?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback